Hlt Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
Hi.

I currently use an old 18L urn for my hlt. I don't know why its called an 18L urn because only around 15L of water fits in. Anyway, I am starting to brew double batches now and so I consistently need more than the urn's capacity in both mash water and sparge water. I am getting by at the moment but its a pain having to guess how much I need to over-heat the water in the urn so I hit the right temp when its added to the rest of the water required.

At teh moment I have a 3 tier setup with the urn on top. To tip the water in I have to get up on a ladder which is awkward (and dangerous considering its usually hot water from the tap that I pour into the urn). While I am thinking about upgrading the HLT, I have also got to thinking about whether I should get a pump and get rid of the top tier - yet another option to consider! :rolleyes:

So, if I am going to upgrade I have a few options:

1. A bigger urn.

The odd one pops up on ebay from time to time but they are rarely big enough so I imagine I will need to get a new one.

My issues with using an urn is firstly cost (around $250-$300), but more importantly the tap assembly. For those of you who use an urn, how do you attach a hose to the tap? Do you replace the tap with a ball valve?

2. A 40L stock pot and a two tier setup

I could bring the HLT down level with my mash tun and use a pump to drive the sparge arm. Then use my burner to heat the mash/sparge water and just lift the pot up onto the 2nd tier. The biggest problem with this is keeping the sparge water at a constant temp during the 1hr sparge. It would be tedious to have to attach insulation every time after I heat it on the burner. Its also a very expensive option. With the pump and and extra pot it would end up being somewhere between $350 and $400. That's an expensive HLT upgrade.

3. The el cheapo option: a 25L plastic pail and my old immersion element

This would work just fine in theory. The problem of having bloody hot water above my head remains though, and 25L is only just going to be enough (and may not be enough depending on the type of beer I brew). Also, I am at the stage now with my brewing that if I do any upgrades I want them to be proper ones, which I can happily use for years to come. To be honest, all of the options I have here have some problem that doesn't make me confident that I will be using it long term, but this last option in particular is a fairly make-shift solution in my eyes.

This is annoying me!! Does anybody here have any advice or experiences they would like to share on the topic?

Cheers, :beer:

T.D.

Converted keg with an electric element is probably one of the biggest, cheapest and easiest options... (Legally obtained keg of course) ;)

No need to fill from above (mine's 3 tier). I just fill from the ball-valve with an easy-hooker setup (see pic). Just view the sight-guage and when you've got the correct volume close the valve. Easy as. :)

BTW Insulating your HLT saves a lot of energy too. :beerbang:

Warren -

HLT.jpg

G'day TD. I went option 1. A 40lt urn and it still needs to be refilled once for doing double batches. I fitted a ballvalve and bypassed the original tap.
Option 2 looks good, you will need the pump for other duties anyway. You will find a cheapish pot eventually but you may wait a while.
Option 3 The pale won't be big enough and depending on the type of plastic may not handle high temps.
Good luck :D

See, this is exactly why I posted this topic - I knew there would be an that hadn't occurred to me! Thanks Warren.

I have read up a bit about installing elements out of kettles etc, and to be honest, I have literally no electrical knowledge and installing something like that makes me pretty nervous. How did you go about it?

Is this the sort of thing a sparky would install for you or would they run a mile?

T.D.

Bought my elements from G&G. They just screw in, after you drill a 25mm (I think) hole, then it's just a matter putting a plug in. All up (incl. cord) elements were about $40. That price was about 6 years ago.

Warren -

razz said:
G'day TD. I went option 1. A 40lt urn and it still needs to be refilled once for doing double batches. I fitted a ballvalve and bypassed the original tap.
Option 2 looks good, you will need the pump for other duties anyway. You will find a cheapish pot eventually but you may wait a while.
Option 3 The pale won't be big enough and depending on the type of plastic may not handle high temps.
Good luck :D
[post="127592"][/post]​

Thanks razz,

I installed a ball valve in my old 18(15)L urn but its a crappy old thing. Taking to a brand new $300 urn with the pliers and shifters would be tough! haha

What brand did you get? Did the tap just screw out?

I have no idea where to source a legal keg, so I would probably get a stock pot anyway if I used Warren's method. If it was stainless it would end up being pretty close to the cost of the urn anyway. I am thinking using an urn but setting it up like Warren's HLT might be the best of both worlds. They have a sight glass, and the element is built in so I don't need to rely on my dodgy electrical skills. The rest is essentially the same setup.

warrenlw63 said:
T.D.

Bought my elements from G&G. They just screw in, after you drill a 25mm (I think) hole, then it's just a matter putting a plug in. All up (incl. cord) elements were about $40. That price was about 6 years ago.

Warren -
[post="127599"][/post]​

I've seen those on the G&G website. I think they are now $60 or so. So you just plug a 3-point plug into the back of them do you?

I like the sound of something along these lines - either an urn with a filling mechanism like yours, or a pot with one of these elements in it. Again, I don't know how much I trust my electrical work...

TD. I drilled ahole and put in the new tap, left the old one in. It's a Birko brand, got it from trading post for $85 (bloody lucky) :D

T.D. said:
I've seen those on the G&G website. I think they are now $60 or so. So you just plug a 3-point plug into the back of them do you?

I like the sound of something along these lines - either an urn with a filling mechanism like yours, or a pot with one of these elements in it. Again, I don't know how much I trust my electrical work...
[post="127602"][/post]​

Here's some pics T.D. They may be of some help. :)

Warren -

DSC01234.JPG

DSC01235.JPG

so it comes with a sealing washer?

Looks nice...

Yep.

That's an older one 1800 watt that I don't use any more (bit tired and underpowered). I've now got a 2400 watt one in the HLT that's slightly different.

Actually the older one come with a better washer. The 2400 watt washer's a bit on the thin side. You have to really (carefully) turn the plastic backing nut tightly to allow for the slight curvature of the keg otherwise you'll get a couple of drips. <_<

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
T.D.
Converted keg with an electric element is probably one of the biggest, cheapest and easiest options... (Legally obtained keg of course)
[post="127589"][/post]​

Warren says it all TD.
I'm been using a borrowed urn as a HLT for many, many, many months & am in the process of converting a 50 litre keg (A gift & legal) to a HLT using a 2400w immersion element. With a sight gauge, legs to add extra height for the installation of the element, & (When it happens) a heat temp controler from BrissyBrew, all this should (Hopefully) finish out at about half the cost of a 40 litre urn. :super:
Warren, What is that insulation on your HLT? Looks the goods?

PS. ---- Many thanks to all my mates on Southside Brissy. You're great blokes. :beerbang:

:beer:

G'day Pete.

Insulation is expansion jointing, pretty similar to the stuff in the pic. About $8 a roll from Bunnings (near the concreting stuff). One roll does one keg exactly. I've also done the mashtun the same way.

I just cut a length slightly less than the diameter of the keg then force it over like a hoop, just cut another length and do the same thing. IIRC it takes about 6 hoops to do the keg. Jointing is 6m x 100mm (high) x 10mm (thick). Then I just taped the hoops together.

To make the whole thing more aesthetically pleasing and a little more waterproof/insulated I just bought a couple of those $5 bubblewrap windshield sunvisors from the local Cheap Charlies (Vietnamese $2 shop) and taped them on also.

(See pic of Mashtun).

Hope this helps Pete. All up you've got a NASA Apollo 11 styled HLT and mashtun for less than 15 bones per keg. :lol:

Warren -

exp100_roll.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. At this stage I am torn between getting an urn and modifying it with a ball valve etc, and making my own version with the G&G element and a stainless stock pot.

The stock pot I am looking at costs $106
Temperature controler $100
The element from G&G is $65
Fittings would cost ~$10
Total = $281

40L urn would cost $270
Fittings: $10
Total = $280

At the moment they are neck and neck. The urn's probably in front simply because all the electrical work has been done (and done by somebody qualified unlike me!)

Is there a place where you can (legally) get 50L kegs? What do the breweries do when they get damaged or the like?

T.D. said:

Wait for BrissyBrew to bring out his next controller (for heat) TD. $35 at present prices & only a couple of months away.
Someone, somewhere near you, must have an old keg they don't want???
Warren, Thanks for the info. I'll be heading down to Bunnings ASAP. Thought those ally lookalike stripes looked familiar. :lol: Got to meet up with you & have a beer one day.

TidalPete said:
Got to meet up with you & have a beer one day.

[post="127635"][/post]​

More than one and it's an eventual date. :lol:

Warren -

TidalPete said:
T.D. said:

Wait for BrissyBrew to bring out his next controller (for heat) TD. $35 at present prices & only a couple of months away.
Someone, somewhere near you, must have an old keg they don't want???
Warren, Thanks for the info. I'll be heading down to Bunnings ASAP. Thought those ally lookalike stripes looked familiar. :lol: Got to meet up with you & have a beer one day.

[post="127635"][/post]​

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting that addition to BrissyBrew's repertoire! I am in no real hurry to get this all set up - what I have at the moment works, it could just work a hell of a lot better. I guess I can keep my eyes out for stuff and piece something together bit by bit.

I'm sure I could "find" a keg if I needed to but if wend down the keg route I definitely want it to be above board - I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time!! :ph34r: I'd rather just pay $100 and get a pot.

The breweries MUST turn over these things though!! There's no way the ones that are currently in circulation are the original ones! :lol:

One way or another I think I have at least figure out that I will skip the pump option and keep it all gravity fed, and have it electric.

got any friends with a pool?????
i made one out of a 46 lt chlorine bucket...hdpe grade .90 wall thickness
2400 watt kettle element Works OK..
have not given it a good run as i am still experimenting..
Cost Bucket.....zilch
Element...........$2.00 from garage sale kettle.(with the outlet like Warrens a LINDA)...Or tell the wife she needs a new kettle...use the old one....
PJ

Interesting post this ,love the pics Warren nice set up , I too am considering having a electric heating element option are there any issues with cleaning the element itself? I remember G&G saying once that they get a build up of sugar on the element!!! how do you clean yours ?

Or is it not an issue

Pumpy

TD
I have info on Plastic HLT on floppy disk..From a Website..
Dont know how to post it here.
cheers
PJ

Back