Highly Viable Wyeast - Wow!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

I bought two smack packs from G&G the other day and their date of packaging was only 10 days prior!

I though to myself, hmmm these should kick off pretty quick - I was right.

I smacked the pack and I am not kidding within 10 mins it started to swell. By the time I had boiled and cooled a 2L starter the package was seriously about to explode. AMAZING. The viablity of these packs must ware off so much after a month or more - I have never seen activity like this.

The starter was cooking within an hour. Kinda makes me think I should have just pitched the smack pack directly into my 20L of wort.

Anyhow, from now on I shall be looking for the freshest yeast I can get - I was amazed at how quickly it went off.

Cheers.

Nice one. 10 days from packaging is impressive from a manufacturing and distribution perspective.

On the flip side, I used a smack pack of Belgian Strong that was over 18 months old with no issues, but made a starter first also, just incase.

I bought two smack packs from G&G the other day and their date of packaging was only 10 days prior!
Aren't these imported? Are you sure the date wasn't American format? Seems pretty quick.

Anyway, freshness always helps.

I bought a pack off pat at absolute homebrew on Saturday 12 of feb the date of manufacture is 7feb2011
He had just got an order in 2 days before so it seems that wyeast ships their yeast very fresh

Cheers matho

I bought a pack off pat at absolute homebrew on Saturday 12 of feb the date of manufacture is 7feb2011
He had just got an order in 2 days before so it seems that wyeast ships their yeast very fresh

Cheers matho

Yep. I put this sucker on on the 13th of Feb and the package date clearly stated 03 Feb 2011. Very fresh - very good. Bubbling away nicely as we speak.

Yeah my last wyeast from G & G was only about 15 days old from manufacture date, i kinda did a double take
quite pleasing that this can happen, although i think about it, its not that surprising as i and my other half have ordered many things
mostly from ebay from the US and some get here to me in country VIC in 6 - 7 days.
While things i buy from NSW sometimes take 2 weeks.

Probably not as fresh as some but the 1028 I just picked up from G&G was manufactured on Jan 6th, I smacked it in the carpark and by the time I drove home it had swelled nicely.

I have a pack of Wyeast Old Ale Blend that I am waiting for fridge space to ferment. Seeing as it is around two years old, I thought I would smack it and leave it in the fridge, but allowing the yeast to have access to some nutrients before I deal with it appropriately. Anyway, I think it took about 24 hours at refridgerator temps to be completely inflated. I found it a little scary.

Our Wyeast supplies are never more than 4 days old from manufacture date to the time we take delivery.

Cheers Ross

Good to see our retailers are dealing up some fresh yeast - it works a treat!

Our Wyeast supplies are never more than 4 days old from manufacture date to the time we take delivery.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross.

Dont know whether you are willing to disclose this but how many of them do you turn over a week?

Probably not as fresh as some but the 1028 I just picked up from G&G was manufactured on Jan 6th, I smacked it in the carpark and by the time I drove home it had swelled nicely.

jesus_watching_you.jpeg

edit

On topic :) I get my Wyeasts from Ross and they invariably swell within a few hours if used straight away but I do stock up sometimes and if kept in the fridge for say 2 months they still come good overnight. Now, when 1469 wasn't available I got the Wood Ale from WA which is probably just a culture of 1469 in exile :ph34r: but it was a fresh culture and it was just about crawling out of the starter bottle after a few hours.
I've never had a problem with Wyeast viablity. As I posted once, I lost a Wyeast and it resurfaced two months later, having been accidentally put in a container in the freezer with some hop packets and it cultured up after a couple of days.

Careful, you might get arrested... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lewd indecency or indecent exposure in a public place?
No doubt the people that work either side of John and the boys at G&G are used to carpark smackers like myself.........nothing to see here folks, move on......

Latest posts

Back