High final gravity?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wigarus

Reaction score
Hi guys

Last Sunday (so ten days ago now) I put this down:

1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg Coopers brew enhancer 1
500 grams Coopers light dry malt extract
20 grams cascade hops @ 15 minutes
15 grams cascade hops @ 1 minute
Kit yeast @ 18 degrees

Made up to 20 litres

I forgot to take an OG reading so I chucked it all into the Kit and extract beer designer spreadsheet and it says that the FG should be around 1.016. It has been at 1.020 for the last 3 days and I'm wondering if I should just leave it or if I should do something to try and kick it along a bit?

I was hoping to crash chill and keg this ready for Australia day.

Yeast might be finished, or may have gone to sleep.
You could try giving the fermenter a bit of a gentle swirl to stir up the yeasties again.

Few points isn't much to worry about, 3 days of that gravity - I'd say it's done.

Yeah ok, cheers for that. I might give it a counter clockwise swirl and check it again tomorrow arvo and if it's fine crash chill it.

Don't swirl counter clockwise....that kit would have a coopers ale yeast that will need to be swirled clockwise.

Make sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 in water at approx 20°C and adjust accordingly if it's out. Your reading of 1.020 seems a bit high. Regardless, if you were bottling it more caution would be warranted but as you're kegging, risk of explosions is pretty much nil. So if it tastes finished and you're thirsty, go for it.

squirt in the turns said:
Make sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 in water at approx 20°C and adjust accordingly if it's out. Your reading of 1.020 seems a bit high. Regardless, if you were bottling it more caution would be warranted but as you're kegging, risk of explosions is pretty much nil. So if it tastes finished and you're thirsty, go for it.
The control test of 1.000 in water, of course.

No chance of explosion if the keg's gonna be chilled!

Cheers guys :)

I m just using the Coopers hydrometer but I'm confident that its the correct reading. I calibrated it by cutting little pieces off the top until it read 1.000 in 20 degree RODI water.

Also the counter clockwise swirl was a reference to a Seinfeld sex move if anyone cared :p

Doesn't that hydrometer only go up to 1.040? Not that it matters for FG, but it does for OG.

Wigarus said:
I m just using the Coopers hydrometer but I'm confident that its the correct reading. I calibrated it by cutting little pieces off the top until it read 1.000 in 20 degree RODI water.

Also the counter clockwise swirl was a reference to a Seinfeld sex move if anyone cared :p
Doesn't that hydrometer only go up to 1.040? Not that it matters for FG, but it does for OG.

Was that a knuckle?

You might be right but I forgot to take the og anyway. I just got the og / fg figures from the spreadsheet

If it does I'd suggest investing in a better one, I think the lowest OG I've ever had was 1.046 or something.

I have one that only goes up to 1.040, it's useful for measuring FG as the markings are further spaced so I can identify the reading better. I'm not sure if it was the coopers kit one it was given to me.

The spreadsheet is pretty good, but FV can be affected by many variables. For instance my nemesis, S04, never ever drops below 1.020 for me.

I checked it this morning and it goes to 1.110.

I have a hydrometer that I used to use for my aquarium that only goes up to around 1.040.

FWIW I swirled the bucket last night and the SG was the same again this morning. I will check again in the afternoon.

Tastes ok from the sg reading samples.

It's still 1.020 now so I have turned the temp controller to 1 degree. And will keg and force carbonate Saturday morning.

Latest posts

Back