HEX as postchiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal32

Reaction score
I've searched and haven't really found anything, so....

I have a CCFC (http://morebeer.com/products/wort-chiller-counterflow-12-fpt-fittings.html). Surprisingly it's not really much of an improvement on my first CFC I bought off gumtree (Homemade one in a fire hose with smaller diameter tubing), but I digress. I get my temps down to about ~26-28 degrees and then use the fridge to get it down to pitching temp (16 degrees). Takes about 4-6 hours

I was thinking of mixing up a salty ice slurry in my hex and using that as a post chiller to get the temps down, now the HEX is only a 7.5 litre pot with a bunch of copper in it. Maybe even putting the CCFC in a plastic bucket full of ice slurry if that's more efficient?

Would the difference even be negligible? It's kind of shit finishing up the brew day, cleaning everything then having to go back and check the fridge so I can pitch and oxygenate. Also according to the book of Palmer, the risk of infection increases blah blah blah. Although I have never had an infection.

Cheers in advance.

Are you going to be using your hex and existing chiller in line?
Using both may get want you want given that you can already get it down 28 you'd just be using it to get from 28 to 20. This may still be too big an ask for 7.5L of near freezing water.
If you were planning on just the hex then I'd say snowball's chance in hell.

Nah, definitely after the chiller. So yeah just need to take off 10 degrees.

Latest posts

Back