Herms + Temperature Stepping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahy268

Reaction score
Hi again.
I know there have been plenty of threads about Herms and Temperature stepping around here before.
I've also read most of them.
However what I'm trying to work out is this.
Is it possible to use a combination of the 2 methods.
I.e. We are aiming for a temperature of say 65 deg C.
We add in a few L of 65 C water which will put the temperature up to say 60 deg.
We then run the herms and bring it up the last couple of degrees.
Then repeat via a similar method for the next step.
Am I making any sense?
Would this work?
Reason is that essentially I'm a tinkerer at heart. Looking at over time building up my brewery.
I ask because my understanding is that Herms on it's own will only raise the temperature a couple of degrees per minute.
I also will probably start with just the Step mashing system and add the herms later.
So I wonder if I should bother.

Anyway.. Ideas?

Warwick

I get my strike up to 73C on gas, the dump it in empty MLT and recirculate through Heat Exchanger at 73C to warm everything up prior to dough in.
Then constant recirculation for Mash through H/Ex at 66C.

Then I just ramp via HERMS to Mashout temp 77C during final 15 minutes of Mash, drain everything as my 1st Runnings.
Then add Sparge water at roughly right temperature already, then recirculate at 77C etc.. and drain for 2nd Runnings.

So yes you can use HERMS whatever way you like, step gradually via HERMS or make addition, then use HERMS to stabilize temperature. Flexible to whatever suits your system/mash schedule.

I prefer KISS method, 2 water additions - Strike (20L) and Sparge (20L) - HERMS to step up mash to Mashout and to stabilize temps throughout. Can be as simple or as complex as you like. Lots of scope to 'tinker' that's for sure.

One complexity is when you add water at a different temperature, stabilising things/the HERMS adjusting to sudden influx of hotter water, you can recirculate for a bit with HERMS off to stabilise temperature, then switch it on.

I'm assuming your HERMS is a separate vessel, I don't have experience of a HLT style HERMS.

Latest posts

Back