Herms coil vs immersion chiller where to use my 18m coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been looking at buying some annealed copper to make a wort chiller and 18m (1/2") is the best value (I'll call around the air conditioning places before committing to the big green shed). I like the idea of future proofing my brewery for potential upgrades the best I can so I don't buy too much of the same type of gear.

I'm currently brewing in a keggle with a megajet burner and a 40L mash tun cooler. I was thinking of putting 5m of the 18m aside to save for a potential herms coil later on leaving 13m for an immersion chiller. 13m should be plenty for single batches but would this be inadequate if i move into doubles. Is 13m and 5m a good split to potentially do both jobs in the future? Alternatively just commit to 18m chiller and worry about a herms coil when i get to it.

Before I get a HLT (which much love for gadgetry will probably lead to when money allows) i was thinking of buying a pump and pumping my mash wort through the 13m (or 18m?)of immersion coil sitting in the keggle heating up the sparge water. With a bit of fiddling with the gas flow can i get a more stable temperature this way? How much hotter do you run your HLT than your mash to transfer adequate heat? I imagine it would be altered by both flow rate and HLT temp and just need some dialing in. A first run target could be good though.

Thanks in advance.

Navin

Hey Navin, my immersion chiller is from an 18m roll of 1/2" annealed copper from the big green shed. Paid $100 for it plus fittings, straight tube and connections. Pretty much copied a Jamil Whirlpool chiller. Over kill for single batches as a quarter of the chiller is out of the wort but pays for itself with doubles. There are cheaper options out there but I enjoyed making it myself. If I were you I'd commit it all to a chiller and if you look into herms seriously consider using stainless so you can use caustic cleaners.
Just be aware if you go for refrigeration tubing that they use a different standard of measurement and common compression fittings likely won't fit.

Are caustic cleaners that much better? Should I consider replace the pick up tube and the wort return I was thinking of adding to the kettle using copper with stainless. Napisan and Star-San have been the go to thus far. I'll go with the 18m immersion better to overshoot then under build it and be disappointed later down the track.

Latest posts

Back