Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nev you forgot the part number for the canary yellow paint.Or can it be any colour you wish. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red will be quicker at ramping up temps!

Mine will be PVC white, so when brew mates come around it will blend in with all the other $h!t in my shed and they wont steal it.

How are you going to get a shitty noisy gearbox in it ? :lol:
Nev

If it is anything like my father-in-law's Jag, with great difficulty.

It will also be impossible to fix, and will never work when I want it to. <_<

Maybe I'll stick with PVC white.

dropped into k-mart to grab a corded $9 kettle and they had none, one of the staff on the floor said they wont get them anymore and now only do the "cordless" kind

had a walk around all the shops and found one in Woolworths for $14 so i bought that.

i had a look at the $9 cordless kmart one and i reckon it could still be used fairly easily.

I think I got mine from BigW

But it was a while ago

Not sure if they still stock them

Cheers
I went into BigW yesterday (Brisbane City) and they only had cordless ones for $7.

I'm spewing too cause I had one I ripped apart ages ago which I threw out because I decided not to use it.

dropped into k-mart to grab a corded $9 kettle and they had none, one of the staff on the floor said they wont get them anymore and now only do the "cordless" kind

had a walk around all the shops and found one in Woolworths for $14 so i bought that.

i had a look at the $9 cordless kmart one and i reckon it could still be used fairly easily.
The cordless Kmart kettle will work but you need to supply your own IEC power cable like the one on your PC.
Some other brands of cordless kettles dont have the right have pin configuration so chose carefully.
Our new PDF will be ready soon.
Nev

The cordless Kmart kettle will work but you need to supply your own IEC power cable like the one on your PC.
Some other brands of cordless kettles dont have the right have pin configuration so chose carefully.
Nev
I will add the cordless BigW one *looked* like it had the exact same IEC connection (ie, the coil can be plugged in with a normal IEC cord).

Just picked up a $14one from Woolies. Didn't realize there were different cords. What is the difference?

Just picked up a $14one from Woolies. Didn't realize there were different cords. What is the difference?
Don't think you'll find a different cord, just cord vs cordless.

I will note that I have seen some urns which have a notch in the plug which won't take a computer lead...

Nev

i thought it might and good to know :)

Woolies one is easy, the "other cordless" kettles may have pins on the element adaptor which are configured differently IE to small or spaced differently.
The two types I have mentioned work so stick with these.
Woolworths Corded with IEC plug $14.00
Kmart $9.00 cordless. Need to supply your own IEC cord.
Nev

Woolies one is easy, the "other cordless" kettles may have pins on the element adaptor which are configured differently IE to small or spaced differently.
The two types I have mentioned work so stick with these.
Woolworths Corded with IEC plug $14.00
Kmart $9.00 cordless. Need to supply your own IEC cord.
Nev

Rodger. Sounds like I picked up the right one, don't mind paying an extra $5 if it comes with everything I require.

Have you monitored the water temp using this Nev? I'd be interested to know if the heat loss to the coil would stop the water getting to boiling during ramp.

I think I'm going to Arduino this thing up so maybe I'll add a few extra sensors just for the hell of it.

Have you monitored the water temp using this Nev? I'd be interested to know if the heat loss to the coil would stop the water getting to boiling during ramp.

I think I'm going to Arduino this thing up so maybe I'll add a few extra sensors just for the hell of it.
We found the water never actually gets to the boil, The HX is efficient and heats very quickly. The ramp speed will be determined by the flow going thru the coil. Faster flow = faster ramp but also more possibility of stuck grain bed, I usually start with a slow flow till protein and beginning of first sac rest then if its going well open it right up. Each brew is different and the start slow appoach is the safest method.
Nev

Back