Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great piece of HX build, if you can reproduce it on a mass scale I am sure you will be in demand.
I guess thats a mates rate build ? I would like one :icon_cheers:
Nev

Thanks Nev

Unfortunately no chance of mass production.
I was lucky to be able to have free run of my mates stainless fabrication workshop.
And his awesome welding skills.

Cost me a bottle of Gentleman Jack.
Not bad value and fun demolishing it while making a new brewery toy.

Cheers,
Mark

View attachment 56944
View attachment 56949
View attachment 56945
View attachment 56946
View attachment 56947
View attachment 56948

1.7 litres capacity.
1.8-1.9 degrees per minute on a double batch with one of Nev's little brown pumps.

Works for me.

On the day I made this I had just finished rolling a piece of stainless into a 100mm ID tube to be welded up and end plated when another customer arrived at the workshop to pickup some gear.
Turns out he is the senior engineer for design / maintinance for one of the huge soft drink companies.

He was of the opinion that I could lose as much as 25% efficiency by having the coil to tight a fit in the pipe due to interupted circulation around coil. He thought 5-10mm clearance all around would be needed. A tight square tube wouldn't be as bad seeing as coil would only touch at 4 places.

Anyway I made mine with 3mm clearance on each side.

He also agreed as small a volume as possible was best. But also recommended a min 20mm freespace below element ( forgot the reasoning for this) and to at least have 2-3mm clearance from element to coil.

Thought this might help anyone thinking about something similar.

Mark

Is that just a standard kettle element housed inside? No matter how hard I squint I can't make it out.

Is that just a standard kettle element housed inside? No matter how hard I squint I can't make it out.

Yes its a kmart $8 one. Mounted on angle so that coil could be set lower in chamber.
I will tidy up earth strap with some stainless braid soon.

Mark

element.JPG
bling2.JPG
element2.JPG

Thanks. Planning something similar, depending on how much scrap I can salvage from work.

Wow, I found this thread very impressive. This idea fits the gap between RIMS and HERMS. I want to build one.

I have a couple of questions and possible modifications.

I can find a boiler heater element like the one in the picture
res2s.jpg

it's 1200W and there is a tube to insert a thermostat.
I was wondering if I can use one of these. Additionally I could insert the thermostat that will prevent overheating limiting the Hermit water temperature to 80.

The second question is related to the PID probe. After the whole reading I still didn't understand.

Most of people put the probe at the Hermit exit. In this way the worth out from the heater will have the target temperature. This will cool in the pipe to the mash tun and will never be able to get the grain to the target temperature.
Is it there something I'm loosing?

Thanks

CD

The speed of the flow between the coil outlet and the mashtun makes any losses in temperature negligible. The point of the system is to get the liquid with all the dissolved starches to the desired temperature not the grain bed as such.

So, I have an 8L urn (from Aldi) that I bought (to be modified) for other fermentation hobbies, but its so pretty and shiny, and would look nice next to other stainless cylinders I own ... Is the volume 8L too big for an efficient Hx?
GAB

So, I have an 8L urn (from Aldi) that I bought (to be modified) for other fermentation hobbies, but its so pretty and shiny, and would look nice next to other stainless cylinders I own ... Is the volume 8L too big for an efficient Hx?
GAB
It will work but slower and less efficient than the standard HERM-IT HX which is approx 1.7L
Nev

I'd wanted to build a HERMS Hx for quite some time and in particular been mulling over how to build one so as to be as efficient as possible. I wanted a smaller rather than larger volume combined with an element of adequate power so as to minimise heating lag and end up with a more responsive Hx. Even though not ideal from a heat conductivity standpoint, I also wanted a SS coil to allow the use of caustic cleaners to my heart's content. So when I stumbled up on the HERMIT coil, the fact that it was SS and the popular PVC build required only a 2 - 3 litre capacity, I thought it looked like a winner. There was a momentary reservation regarding the 3m length of piping, but obviously everyone else was finding it no such handicap in practical terms.

The last remaining decision was whether to use the suggested 1850W kettle element or whether to upgrade to a more powerful element (I'd been considering a 2400W or better for my pre-HERMIT ideas on a Hx). In the end, I built one of these................a twin engine model, just for fun.

For a couple of years I'd perserverred with a totally inadequate 1800W 20L urn as a HLT. It annoyed me no end (understatement) whenever I was caught out with not enough water at the appropriate temp and it taught me a valuable lesson. I vowed that from then on any system upgrade would have more rather than less power. So that's why a 3700W Hx. And besides, I thought it would be interesting to carry out a comparison with either one or two elements running. Not sure I'll bother, though. Ran a water test and PID auto-tune a couple of nights ago and achieved better than 2.5 deg/min ramps. Quite impressive, I thought, and so much for any reservations regarding a 3m coil length.

Maiden HERMS brew coming this wk end, but so far I reckon my new HERMIT Hx is a ripper.

Stubbie, hows this bad boy going?

QldKev

Hi all,

I was wondering, why the need for a SS coil when copper can be used and is much cheaper and easier to work with?

Anything to do with passivation?

Thanks,

Brad

Hi all,

I was wondering, why the need for a SS coil when copper can be used and is much cheaper and easier to work with?

Anything to do with passivation?

Thanks,

Brad

Because SS is more bling bling.... :D :D

Less chance of it reacting with the wort, more sanitary, less chance of oxidation etc

However plenty of people use copper in their HERMS in fact it is probably more popular than SS due to cost. We were just lucky Nev managed to make one at a good price.

Cheers

Seen how much copper oxidizes between uses? :( I'd rather something more food grade that wont go funky cold Medina between uses.

More nutrient for ye yeasties!

But no, I haven't seen any (yet). Only used my submersiblespargethingy once, will have to check it out next time.

As this is connected (Pun intended) to the HERM-IT HX build I thought I should post this in the thread for later builders.
HERM-IT Thermo well.
Link HERE
tw32kitlg.JPG
thermosetupb.JPG
This one has an 12mm compression elbow which we dont have in stock ATM.
Only for illustration purposes.
Nev

file-28.jpg

Looks like I'll be doing my first HERMS mash tomorrow! Went with the bottom mounted element, didn't require any silicone for it to be sealed. 12mm comp fitting works a treat Nev!

Nev. I plumbed mine this way as this is the way it was setup when delivered - didn't think about it just whacked it on. Works fine.
Cheers
BBB

Latest posts

Back