Heres to the bottlers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah the bottlers!

I go half/half stubbies/longnecks if I can, so I've got longnecks for after work and stubbies for taking to a mates place etc.

I like to get into a groove with it; set up the fermenter and bottling attachment, get my priming sugar and dispenser ready, bottlecapper and caps in hot water on standby, then wash all bottles and prime.

I particularly like to sit and listen to music and drink one of the previous batch while I bottle and cap.

All the best gents.

- boingk

Love your post, Truman.

Once you get past the washing/sanitising part of the job, it's off to the garage/brewshed/mancave.
Stick on the J's and get into Short/Fast/Loud, Full metal racket or home & hosed... great stuff to zone out to.

Don't forget, if you're labelling your bottles, that's another night out there, with the glue stick, the stereo pumping... no one to annoy you.

I started kegging last year, but I've only got a small fridge, and it does take up valuable bottle space. Pretty awesome though.

If we have any ammo reloaders out there they will find the bottling and the reloading very similar. Once your set up its easy easy and relaxing.

I throw the bottles in a PBW mix some days or day before, in a big esky, then on bottling day have a smaller esky with starsan, transfer one to the other then into filling the bottles. Makes it like a factory line and easy to do. Just bottled 26L last week and it wasn't to painful.

Bottling is a very easy job if you have two doing it. That's why my missus loves kegging :lol: :p

I'm another tipper, after pitching on the yeast bed three or four times there may be up to 4 or 5 litres left in the fermenter.
It goes on the lemon tree, **** washing, storing and bottling bottles. I fill pet from the tap in minutes if i want to take beer anywhere.

Nothing against anyone who bottles and i can see OP's point, but i'm never looking back. ;)

I don't mind bottling at all, it's the sanitising prior to bottling that bugs me...the bottles, the hose, the bottling bucket etc...

The actual bottling I find very relaxing. A bit of old Cold Chisel and a beer...secluded in the garage away form everyone for half an hour...bliss. :)

As a former kegger, now bottler. I hate it.

I have a Saison that's been in the fermenter over two months, it's probably off (I don't want to check) because I hate bottling so much (and I went on holiday for 3 weeks between it).

I hate the yeast down the bottom and decanting an entire bottle in one go to avoid it.

The washing the filling, the dribbles of spilled beer that, despite mopping up 5 times, still sticks enough to raise SWMBO ire.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
As a former kegger, now bottler. I hate it.

I have a Saison that's been in the fermenter over two months, it's probably off (I don't want to check) because I hate bottling so much (and I went on holiday for 3 weeks between it).

I hate the yeast down the bottom and decanting an entire bottle in one go to avoid it.

The washing the filling, the dribbles of spilled beer that, despite mopping up 5 times, still sticks enough to raise SWMBO ire.
I can see what you mean, I keg most my batches but recently I have been brewing with a mate and he has no kegs so bottle and split the batch....

My garage has sticky bits all over it too, rather annoying. I like the bottle but nothing beats the keg when it comes to speed and happy times.

Bottling is quite relaxing, set up the iPad with a video on it.

At the end it is pretty satisfying to see the capped bottles all lined up.

shaunous said:
If we have any ammo reloaders out there they will find the bottling and the reloading very similar. Once your set up its easy easy and relaxing.
So kegging would be like reloading a cannon.

I use to bottle everything.
After kegging for a while I thought I would do a batch of stout and put it in bottles for the winter.
Well I was half way through bottling my stout when I thought to myself - "Did I really use to do this for every batch?"

Each to their own, but for me, if I had to bottle everything I would not make beer. :beerbang:

shaunous said:
Haha. Minus the drink in hand perhaps. I'd rather double up with sugar than ar2206!

I have every intention to start kegging when my bonus comes through next year...I guess the reason I don't mind it so much is because I have no choice. I'm sure that will change soon. :)

I used to keg everything, had 12 at one stage.
Decided recently as i was getting back into brewing that i would bottle most of my beers now and aim to have two kegs (maybe).
I don't like having beer on tap because i used to drink to much if i do.

Bottled my first 2 batches and can honestly say i didn't hate it.
Helps to start with clean bottles and keep them that way i think.

Rich

Truman said:
Bottlers get to bond with the beer, caress it through the bottling wand and into the bottle.
I bond with my Beer in other ways :party:

Any leftovers for me go into growlers or a blend keg... do Growlers count as botteling?

Funny timing..

I bottled a full batch of beer for the first time since I started kegging 18 months ago.
I dusted off the bottle tree and submersed it into the 60lt fermenter full of sanitiser and blew the dust off some bottles and sanitised them in my brew kettle over night.
Got some LDME and got that ready for buk priming the porter. All went well bar tipping one full uncapped bottle over. It's nice to have filled up the conditioning fridge up with bottles again. Was looking a little sad.
I'll have something to find now in winter for those colder nights. The actual beer was a stuff up though. I mashed at 72 degree's for roughly 70 mins as opposed to 62 degree's. Whoops She stopped fermenting at 1.035...Next time pay notice to what the braumeister is asking you...
I've got a american brown going now but he'll be kegged. Don't miss bottling that much.

i bottle because i have no choice :( can't fit/afford kegs or spare fridge

Every time I bottle I remember why I keg. I ahve been tippong the last few litres every brew but a blended keg sounds like it could be the go. Cheers for the idea yob.

I used to blend the dregs as well, keg was called "bubble and squeek".
It rarely got emptied or cleaned for that matter. Just topped up.

Rich

If I could get Darwin Stubbie sized bottles, I could see that. 750ml in a pint glass? You end up with a piddling amount of slurry filled beer every time.

I've only ever bottled, don't go through it fast enough to keg + I've only 1 fridge & thats for fermenting lagers. When you bottle,
it makes the saying "washing up with benefits " even more true.
My biggest gripe with bottling is the number of bottles needed & finding room for the fulls & the empties.

Camo6 said:
Haha. Minus the drink in hand perhaps. I'd rather double up with sugar than ar2206!
Projectile will just come out faster ;)

I had a few Fukups, your doing well to blow yourself up though. Probably safer reloading than bottling after a bottle goes off like they do :)

Latest posts

Back