Here Is The Grain Mill I Built

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I built this grain mill in 6 hours (spread over a week) and it cost me $25
$20 for the timber, $4 for the coach bolts and $1 for all the stainless nuts from blackwoods.
The rest i "found" at work.

I did all the machining myself and the timber was done with nothing more than a whole saw (which provided an interferance fit for a 6203 bearing), a router and a drill.
I love working in the food industry, everything is 316 stainless.

I will be building a hopper for about 10 kg's of grain on the weekend, will post some pics when its done

:D :D :D :D :D

cant wipe the smile off my face.

Oh, some specs. It has 2" dia 316 ss rollers at 200mm (8") long.
I routed out the free wheeling roller housing by 2mm to give ne a 0.3 to 2.3mm adjustable gap via the screws on the end.

A mate of mine has made one with the same specs, onlt differently and he can run the grain (5kg) through twice in under 5 min.

cant wait to crank her up :D

here are some pics

cheers

here it is all put together

Very nice setup (looks on in envy). Looks great with the timber. From the sounds of it it sounds like adjsutability is not at the top of your priorities, but is it adjustable at all

Will

Very nice...

(Envious, although keen to try my new Philmill I received today...)

Chatty

here are the slots i put in the siges to hold some ss 10mm threadded bar for holding the rollers at the correct gap.

I figured there was no need to control the inward movement of the roller, only the outward movement, as the grain holds the moving roller at the pre selected gap.

the threadad bar passes through the end plate which is tapped and has a lock nut and an adjustment nut tig welded on the end.
It presses on the free wheeling roller and holds it to the required gap.

easy!

here are the plates i made for adjustment, I can adjust either end of the rollers from 0.3mm to 2.3mm easily and quickly.

Nice. Thats a good design that i have never seen before. Sounds simple but does the job

Will

If you weren't to "find" some rollers at work, how much would they cost?

Thanks,
Wreck.

Nice one Tony, love the adjustment mechanism of the second roller its a true classic in a hundred years or more that could be in a muesem and people saying. 'yes they used to crush there own grain in the ol days' little will they know how much pleasure there is from crushing your grain on the mill that you made then making it into a brew tailored to your requirements .
Pumpy

Pumpy

I had a machine shop quote $200 just for machining costs if i supplied the material.

I read somewhere that someone else got quoted $400 with materials.

I actually had access to 5" dia ss shaft so it could have been a monster but moving it around would have been a bit of work.

built the hopper today. Its almost finished now.
All there is to do is a housing for the bucket to catch the grain

cheers

close up of hopper atached to the mill

Top Stuff Tony. Looks a treat.

I was prolly the one who mentioned $400 for ss rollers. That was for ss stock around the size of your rollers. Most off the shelf mills are much smaller and if you had them made up in mild steel would be much cheaper. Tho I reckon unless you know someone with stock and willing to do the machining, you wouldn't get much change out of $200 from a commercial shop.

Unless you want the satisfaction of making your own, better off importing one or getting and modding a marga.

Nice job Tony

Cheers
Roach

Back