Help with HLT leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_

Reaction score
Hey guys, just testing the seals on my HLT:

DSC_0118.JPG

I'm losing water in the thread under the keggle where the element screws in:

DSC_0119.JPG

I've got tap tape on the thread but the element only screws in a couple of turns. The silicon o-ring that's under the nut inside the keggle is tightened as far as it can go without completely disfiguring the o-ring.

As the element is electric I'd rather not run the risk of mixing water and electricity, any tips on how to get this leak sorted?

Last edited:
Had a similar issue. Silicone sealant was the answer for me. Thin film on the o-ring and no leaks. Used the high temp version on my boil kettle too.

Had a similar issue. Silicone sealant was the answer for me. Thin film on the o-ring and no leaks. Used the high temp version on my boil kettle too.

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but by putting the sealant on there will I be able to get the element out easily still? Or would the sealant get a bit messy to remove when all dried off?

The silicone sealant is on the silicon washer, so the nut and element will separate easily enough. I think the issue is the curved surface and that's why the washer won't seal. Also, you just need a thin film of sealant, not a lot.

Back