Help with dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Lonely

Reaction score
I have done a few Dry Hopping using Coppers Pale Ale and all I did was drop the tea bag on top of the brew.
A friend says that he puts the tea bag in a muslin bag with a marble and gets it sink to the bottom.
So I was wondering is it better to just drop the tea bag in and let it float, or get it to sink to the bottom of the fermenter.
Cheers

Not sure what is "better" but i prefer to put the hops in a stocking with a weight.Also make the stocking quite large so the hops can expand a lot.
My theory being when they float they have less exposure to the beer as half is not in it, not really any solid research :)
I also wait until the majority of the fermentation has completed before adding dry hops.

im a let them run free sort of guy. they settle out and i don't have to sanitise extra things.

Also, little bit off the topic, but those tea bags, can be a rather un-economical way to get your hops.
Not sure if you have a brew shop local that sells hops in quantities such as 100g, im sure a few of the sponsors of this site do and likely will post to you. Not unusual to get 100g for close to the cost of a tea bag style.
and there is no such thing as having too much hops!!
Cheers
Mick

^just to add to this - if you're doing a 20ltr brew and thinking of a 40gram dry-hop for example (2grams hops per litre) then if you use a stocking there's no concern about it floating, it'll also stretch under the wet weight of the hops

leg it to your nearest coles...get it...or a supermarket
http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/mix-pantyhose-control-brief-black-tall

$5.50 for a 4 pack of stockings, i cut them down to about 20cm and just tie the ends off, spray them in star-san or pop them in some boiling water for a sec

then if you buy your hops in larger packs you'll be better off in the long run...long run...get it...hehe

sorry for the slight threadjack - now back to your normally scheduled program

I use a hop sock (tubular mesh sock that I tie a knot in each end of). I simply & carefully lower the sanitised & loaded hop sock onto the middle of the wort surface and let it go. It will sit on top for a while then might slowly drop - hop particle will fall from the sock and drop to bottom. So hop matter does penetrate the liquid.

As for amount of dry-hopping. All depends on your taste. My last American Brown Ale I used 150grams for the last 4 days before bottling (75grams each of Galaxy and Citra) . I generally work in a bracket of between 70grams to 150grams. Just depends on how much hoppiness you want.

Also have to agree that the tea bags aren't great economy or the freshest. I buy my hops in the 90grams pellet packs and store in the freezer.

Cheers,
Pete

I just throw mine in loose and let 'em swim around.

Thanks for all the feed back , will have to try some of them and will have to see if I can buy some hops in bulk. Cheers

Back