Help with bru water setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wobbly, I tried that. But it only raises it to 5.2 up from 5.15. I can add a small amount of bicarbonate to get it to 5.25. From my reading it seems that the ph rises anyway during the mash and while 5.15-5.20 isn't ideal for the style and is on the limits of the recommended area it's still better than where it would've been without any additions at all. And in a real world situation it's probably going to be different and I'm only guessing until I get a ph meter.
Another tool to play with while I brew beer and do some calculations.
That's what I like to do but and I don't like doonas.

i think adding something like baking soda to offset that dark malt is an option

Have you considered using some Calcium Lactate to increase the buffering capacity of your mash water

You can purchase it from Brewman and seeing you are located in Newcastle it may be worth your while having a chat to him about using some

Check out this topic where it is discussed by MHB, and others http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/90157-calcium-lactate/

Cheers

Wobbly

Kingy said:
Does anyone know a program to open this software with other than excel as I don't have the full excel version it limits some things I can do with it. Cheers
OpenOffice is no longer supported by its developer and it doesn't seem to operate Bru'n Water very well. LibreOffice does operate the program pretty well.

mabrungard said:
OpenOffice is no longer supported by its developer and it doesn't seem to operate Bru'n Water very well. LibreOffice does operate the program pretty well.
Another reason why I love Brunwater.

wobbly said:
Have you considered using some Calcium Lactate to increase the buffering capacity of your mash water

You can purchase it from Brewman and seeing you are located in Newcastle it may be worth your while having a chat to him about using some

Check out this topic where it is discussed by MHB, and others http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/90157-calcium-lactate/

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly, have you worked out how to enter Calcium Lactate parameters into Bru'n Water?

all I have is - Calcium 13% Lactate 31% Water 29% ?? 27%

cheers

I had a look at the free version of Bru'n Water. I use Libre Office on Linux. It seems to work reasonably well, except that parts of the spreadsheet seem to be locked out using a password. That means that you can not change the formatting of the cells. There are a number of places where the results are shown using too few decimal places. I'd like to change the format, but the password protection won't let me. Does anyone know the password or know how to change the cell formatting without the password?

Coalminer said:
Wobbly, have you worked out how to enter Calcium Lactate parameters into Bru'n Water?

all I have is - Calcium 13% Lactate 31% Water 29% ?? 27%

cheers
Coalminer

No I haven't done any more with this subject but if/when you find out any further information please let me know

Cheers

Wobbly

wobbly said:
Coalminer

No I haven't done any more with this subject but if/when you find out any further information please let me know

Cheers

Wobbly

Pm mabrungard. From what I have seen here and on HBT he is happy to give advise and support for the spread sheet. Hence my comment above.

Does any one know how to save recipe data in the full version of Brun Water? Im not sure of the correct name for it but you can save each recipe in the one spread sheet somehow.

nosco said:
Does any one know how to save recipe data in the full version of Brun Water? Im not sure of the correct name for it but you can save each recipe in the one spread sheet somehow.
The instruction page may be extensive but is well worth reading
Data management in on line 170 of the instruction page near the bottom

Ok so I found out that the reason why I cant save recipe's in the Data Management tab is because the Batch Name cell the Grain Bill tab is corrupted. I can enter a Batch Name in the Grain Bill section but nothing shows up in the Name drop down menu in Data Management. Im not sure how I did it or why I cant get it to happen now but at one point the Batch Name cell in Grain Bill had a drop dwon menu that said "Base Malt,Crystal Malt" etc as well "Water Profile.." and a few other.

Can any one good with a spread sheet tell what the code for this cell is supposed to be and how I can edit it?

Don't know about the code but;
1. Have you enabled Macro's in the spreadsheet?
2. Are you saving the the spreadsheet as a Macro enabled file? ie *.xlsm

Yeah I enable the macro at the start when I open a file. There should be an option to use them permanently I guess. Its saved as a .xlsm. I emailed Martin early this morning and he had replied by the time I woke up. It may take a while to nut it out though.

Ok so I found out that the reason why I cant save recipe's in the Data Management tab is because the Batch Name cell the Grain Bill tab is corrupted. I can enter a Batch Name in the Grain Bill section but nothing shows up in the Name drop down menu in Data Management. Im not sure how I did it or why I cant get it to happen now but at one point the Batch Name cell in Grain Bill had a drop dwon menu that said "Base Malt,Crystal Malt" etc as well "Water Profile.." and a few other.

Can any one good with a spread sheet tell what the code for this cell is supposed to be and how I can edit it?

There isn't any code in that cell. It's a blank cell that you can edit and enter a name. The only thing I can guess is that you are naming the batch with a purely numeric name. The Data Manager is expecting an alpha name in that Name cell.

Yeah its something with my pc i think. The new file you gave me had the same error. Other weird things happened as well. The pH cell would "disappear" sometimes when I entered some water additions. Im runninf windows 10 but its a pretty old pc. I checked for updated but there wasnt any. I downloaded open office to try it but i havnt had a chance yet. Thanks again for your help.

Back