Help with bru water setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
So my goal this year is to tackle the water instead of putting it in the to hard basket.
Ive set up the water report but the program is telling me it's unbalanced so I must have done something wrong. Can someone Check my inputs?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484435109.938038.jpg

How are you calculating Bicarbonates? They seem a bit high

Nah use the Alkalinity Conversion Calculator on the same worksheet. Enter Total Alkalinity and pH, it'll estimate your bicarbonate for you.

(edit) looking again at your screenshot, I think you might be using an old version of Bru'n Water so you may not have the Calculator. Go get the latest version to be sure.

You can get Temporary Hardness as CaC03 from here, that sheet lets you figure out where in Newcastle your water is coming from. Then using the table in the bottom right you can find your temporary hardness, which you can input into the Conversion Calculator.

Post you're water report so we can see

I'm no gun & dont use the water report input as I use R/O water but will have a look

I'm sure there are heaps of crew on here who will help

mtb said:
(edit) looking again at your screenshot, I think you might be using an old version of Bru'n Water so you may not have the Calculator. Go get the latest version to be sure.
Nah That is a screen shot from the latest version 4.2. I got mine emailed to me from Martin last Tuesday 10th Jan

Wobbly

I can send you one with a newcastle water profile already setup if you want
I have numbers that MHB posted age ago

But this what I have entered into my spreadsheet
b361b9aed3.jpg

I think you have used the wrong value for your carbonate level, actually i'm certain you have. The value SBOB posted is probably going to get you close enough.

Thanks Kingy for the reminder. Im just filling out v4.2 now and it says that carbonate does not exist in water with a Ph below 8 and can be assumed to be zero in water Ph below 9. Its obviously rounding there but I think as huez says your carbonate value is way to high. It tells you if you click on each cell how to work out the bicarbonate and carbonate values in ppm for use in the spreadsheet.

SBOB said:
I can send you one with a newcastle water profile already setup if you want
I have numbers that MHB posted age ago

But this what I have entered into my spreadsheet
b361b9aed3.jpg
27ppm sodium? Is it always that high?

Coalminer said:
SBOB
I see you are using the 90th percentile figures for Grahamstown water
I thought from MHB's talk we should be using the median figures, but I may be wrong about this

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/93153-hunter-water/#entry1417961

attachicon.gif
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.01.16_06h46m33s_001_.jpg
I could be wrong, as I didnt attend that talk and grabbed info that was posted a year or 2 ago

Might update mine to align with yours then :)

How much is the fancier BrunWater version cost? Im still running the freebie one

SBOB said:
I could be wrong, as I didnt attend that talk and grabbed info that was posted a year or 2 ago

Might update mine to align with yours then :)

How much is the fancier BrunWater version cost? Im still running the freebie one
Cost is want you want to pay. Either once only or regular subscription. The paid version is much more comprehensive AFAIK but I never used the old version. Differences all explained on his site

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/screenshots

e.g. Can save individual grain bills without saving a full copy of the spreadsheet for each recipe
I just paid $15.00 USD to see whats involved. If I can handle the software will probably make regular donations as there appears to have been a lot of work put into it
Still only half way through the instructions page at the moment so lots still to learn. I have only ever used Calcium Lactate as my water treatment but flying blind,
so don't take my word as gospel :D
Still need to get a decent PH meter

Latest posts

Back