Help with Brew fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for a stc-1000 I have wired 4 of mine up with no prob but if you can get a electrician to look over it best investment to my brewery so far

zooesk said:
+1 for a stc-1000 I have wired 4 of mine up with no prob but if you can get a electrician to look over it best investment to my brewery so far
Was a bit worried about the open wires with the stc-1000 even though il be getting an electrician friend to do the wiring i have a curious 4 year old in the house. I suppose a jaycar jiffy box (more solid than the one linked) wouldn't be too hard? Do you have to buy a heating mat with this for winter months?

Was looking for something a bit more ''plug and play'' than the stc-1000 if it exist?

You can get the prewired keg king unit from craftbrewer if you don't want to wire things up

tj2204 said:
You can get the prewired keg king unit from craftbrewer if you don't want to wire things up
Tried to google but could only find whole keg setups? Is that what you meant?

http://www.kegking.com.au/Downloads/Catalogue%20-%20Retail%20Price%20List.pdf

Top of Pg. 27. - $75

The 2nd link that I provided for you on your other thread (Post #11, as per post #2 here) gives you everything you need to know about wiring-up an STC 1000 in a Jiffy box.

Put it on top of the fridge & it's out of the way of an inquisitive 4yo.

Mate, I'm trying to help you here, but you're not helping yourself!

Seeing as you posted before looking at cheap methods for brewing, you will struggle to find a better temp controller for the same/less than a home wired stc-1000. If you use a proper jiffy box and parts, you wont have to worry about exposed wires as everything is enclosed and the box screwed tight. Depending on your house i.e. if gets cold cold in winter, you will more than likely need a heating source with your fridge also.

memainmon said:
Was looking for something a bit more ''plug and play'' than the stc-1000 if it exist?
The full specs are down the linked page.
Pics of mine with the sensors out of the pocket to show the length of the sensor cable, Brew corner 099.jpgBrew corner 101.jpg

memainmon said:
Any idea on a good temp controller for a fridge?
Looking at this one trying for something safe and user friendly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Homebrew-Digital-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Regulator-Fermenter-/301506394877?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item46332e7afd
I bought this Mangrove Jacks one a few months ago. Very happy with the quality so far.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-By-MANGROVE-JACKS-68-99-each-/171641450523?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item27f6a0b01b

But looking at getting a cheapy for my second fridge. Something similar to what Superstock is suggesting.

Seems to be an obsession with the STC1000 round these parts. Obviously it's reliable, but when you can pick up a very nice wired unit for around $60 I'm not sure why you'd bother with the building and wiring etc.

I'll be grabbing one or two of those cheapies and will be very interested to see how they hold up. I'll be sure to test/calibrate them against with a thermometer and see how they go.

That wired unit only does heating OR cooling. e.g: it only has one plug for one appliance at a time.

STC1000 can control a heating or a cooling device without making system changes. You plug your fridge and heating pad in, and the device controls the temperature by using either device.

lobedogg said:
I'll be grabbing one or two of those cheapies and will be very interested to see how they hold up. I'll be sure to test/calibrate them against with a thermometer and see how they go.
The first couple I bought are now about 2 years old and haven't missed a beat. They don't have a fractional setting just straight degrees,all of mine are fairly close to the money. Set at 18'c will switch on at 19.1'c and switch off at 17.9'c using a separate digital thermometer to monitor.

angus_grant said:
That wired unit only does heating OR cooling. e.g: it only has one plug for one appliance at a time.

STC1000 can control a heating or a cooling device without making system changes. You plug your fridge and heating pad in, and the device controls the temperature by using either device.
True, but I don't see the advantages. If you want both heating and cooling in the one device, buy 2 of these for 1/2 the price of a wired stc 1000

Latest posts

Back