Help Used Napisan In My Aluminium Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I soaked my Aluminium boiler in Napisan. Please no mockers, I know with hind site that was a pretty silly thing to do. Its gone a grey colour, which I guess is oxidisation. How can I render it safe to use again?

Ive got a bit of if off with wet and dry and was going to boil and empty a full boiler before using again

Thoughts anyone.

Cheers

KOS,

I'd give it a scrub with a green scourer followed by a good rinse.

I soaked my Aluminium boiler in Napisan. Please no mockers, I know with hind site that was a pretty silly thing to do. It's gone a grey colour, which I guess is oxidisation. How can I render it safe to use again?

I've got a bit of if off with wet and dry and was going to boil and empty a full boiler before using again

Thoughts anyone.

Cheers

thats kinda odd, im pretty sure my boiling pot is aluminium, coz it seems too light (and cheap $20 for a 19L stock pot) to be SS, dunno, maybe it is SS, and i have left napisan in it for like 2 or so days with no problems or maybe i just didnt notice and change coz my pot wasnt shiny on the inside to begin with. how old is it? sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in napisan) frees up hydrogen peroxide ions when in solution which are a powerful oxidiser, so you are on the right track thinking that it is oxidisation.

my question is why do you care if it is a little oxidised? by and large, aluminium oxidisation is a rather advantagous thing as the aluminium oxide is harder than the aluminium metal itself, so it acts as a good barrier and protects the aluminium itself. and usually the oxide is rather self limiting in that when there is a layer of it built up, it prevents oxygen from reaching the aluminium metal and stops further oxidation. unless bits of it are flaking off and you are worried about them getting all through your wort, i wouldnt worry about a little bit of discolouration on your boil pot, coz you will be fighting an uphill battle to stop something that is exposed to water at 100+ degrees for up to an hour from oxidising/discolouring.

if anybody sees a problem with what i have just advised, please jump in and save this guys life :p , but far as i can tell, it seems sound

Lobby

I soaked my Aluminium boiler in Napisan. Please no mockers, I know with hind site that was a pretty silly thing to do. Its gone a grey colour, which I guess is oxidisation. How can I render it safe to use again?

Ive got a bit of if off with wet and dry and was going to boil and empty a full boiler before using again

Thoughts anyone.

Cheers

thats Ok Palmer says it is Ok to use percarbonate cleaner on Aluminium .dont use bleach on aluminium.

he also says Aluminium depends on a passive surface for its corrosion resistance place it in dry oven at 350C for 10 minutes ( obviously an oven is too small ) unless you have acess to some larger autoclave ovens to treat it

Pumpy :)

I've never used anything on my al kettle other than a little warm water, detergent and a soft cloth. Comes up fine.

thats Ok Palmer says it is Ok to use percarbonate cleaner on Aluminium .dont use bleach on aluminium.

he also says Aluminium depends on a passive surface for its corrosion resistance place it in dry oven at 350C for 10 minutes ( obviously an oven is too small ) unless you have acess to some larger autoclave ovens to treat it

Pumpy :)

Thanks Pumpy (and others)

Cleaning won't remove the colour so guess I now have a boiler thats grey inside :)

If you don't like the colour, you can colour and anodise it (or just re-colour it). Colouring is simple - hot boiling water + strong alkaline dye from your local chemist = newly coloured inside (keep it on the boil for at least 10 mins or so). Not sure about the "durability" of the colour given it's a boiler but it may be worth looking at. Anodising is just as simple if you have access to a reasonably powerful battery charger and would increase the colour durability.

If you don't like the colour, you can colour and anodise it (or just re-colour it). Colouring is simple - hot boiling water + strong alkaline dye from your local chemist = newly coloured inside (keep it on the boil for at least 10 mins or so). Not sure about the "durability" of the colour given it's a boiler but it may be worth looking at. Anodising is just as simple if you have access to a reasonably powerful battery charger and would increase the colour durability.

:huh: :huh: and :huh: Anybody want a bright blue kettle? :lol:

Latest posts

Back