Help - Tap Bent And Rubber Seal Is Loose During Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
Not sure what to do. I placed the fermenter into a tub with some water to manage temperature but the tub was slightly too narrow at bottom. It bent the tap up and this led to the rubber grommet falling out the bottom slightly. Not sure what to do now...
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG

Option 1 - dump it - will be contaminated

Option 2 - leave it - might not be contaminated.... not sure.... maybe just leave it...?

Option 3 - tip fermenter on side while sealing airlock at top with tap facing up. Take tap off and replace with another tap that I have on hand

Option 4 - syphon to another fermenter. I've never done this before but I do have a plastic hose. I expect it's just priming a hose with some water, take fermenter lid off, place hose in fermenter and let suction take to the to the other fermenter.

The yeast was pitched approx 48 hours ago so it's still fermenting away right now....

Thoughts? Help???? :(

If it's not actually leaking, you should be OK. If you're stressed, spray it with a bit of no rinse sanitiser, back the tap off a half turn until the seal pops back into place & tighten!

If it is not leaking I'd be inclined to think you have a sealed vessel which should be free on contamination. If this is the case let it ferment and then syphon into either a keg or another fermenter for bottling.

Yeah good point. If it's not leaking, I suppose nothing is getting out so therefore nothing should be getting in.... Thanks.

I would rack to another container personally as the last thing i would hate to wake up to is 20 odd liters of wort all over the floor.Its easy to rack with a piece of hose you may just want someone to help hold one end of the hose is all.1/2 Fill hose with no rinse sanitizer with your sanitized finger over the end of the hose.place empty end of hose into fermenter with the wort then release your finger and let the sanitizer run into a small container.when the sanitizer has run out and wort is drawn into the hose place it into your second fermenter.try and get as little oxygen contact with the wort when you run it off.you can control the flow by squeezing the hose.
obviously the fermenter with wort needs to be above the empty fermenter.

try doing it with some water first before you give it a go with your brew.
if you are concerned about sanitizing your hand wear a latex food prep glove.

Good luck
SCum

with a topic "Help - Tap Bent And Rubber Seal Is Loose During Fermentation" I though this was going to mention something about drugs :eek: :D ;)

Latest posts

Back