Help! Sulphur In Bottled Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user3673

Reaction score
Firstly sorry if this question has already been answered, I've looked but can't find one.

I recently did a brew with a XXXX kit and liquid light extract, with some cluster pellets(15 min and dry hopped @ rack) which i think were very old by the smell (They had a comp on to win origin tickets if i bought the kit and i had a rewards voucher so it cost me next to nothing).

I have never done a lager before as i live in Brissie.

I used s-23 and brewed @ around 11C.
I didn't do a diacetyl rest, and bottle after the brew sitting at 18 for about 6 hours.

I cracked a bottle open and it still has a strong sulphur smell and kind of a stale hop smell. My question is will this do away with age or would i be better dumping it and using the bottles for a nice AG APA?

Thanks

Scottie

how long was it in the primary and secondary for?
that sulphur smell should go away with age

It might be an idea to wait even longer for it to bottle condition.
I had a pilsner using a White Labs lager yeast that took the best part of 3 months to be rid of the sulfur. Was well worth the wait though.

Hi,

I did 2 Fresh Wort Pliseners last year with the WLP 802 Czech Budejovice yeast at 11c for 2 weeks, diacetyl rest for 3 days at 18c, then lagered for 1-2 months, then bottled. These beers still had a sulphur smell at 6-8 weeks in the bottle... but at 3 months they were amazingly good... the best "kit" I'd ever brewed. I have my first 2 AG Pilseners with the same yeast lagering away and its rather frustrating knowing that I'm still probably 2-3 months away before they hit their peak.

Morale of the story... don't chuck them away! Taste a bottle every week or 2 and see how they change. If they never reach the great heights you hoped - so what! You can be 100% sure they will never get there if you tip them out now.

If you are waiting for bottles to do your AG APA then I'd suggest getting more bottles ASAP - e.g. go buy some coopers longnecks :chug: If you are "no chilling" - brew now and just ferment when you know you'll have the bottles.

cheers,

Andrei

Scottie

Firstly welcome mate

The sulphur smell is normal for a lager. Give it some time, dont dump it yet. Lagers are not hard to brew, they just take a bit longer. Get some more bottles, PETS from BigW are about $11 for 12 bottles.

A lot has been written about lager brewing, much to do with tradition vs the fact we now know there is more than one way to skin a cat. You don't have to wait months for it to condition. I gather you have a fridge so drop the temp to as close to zero as possible after a diactyl rest (3 days when you hit 1020 at 15C) and then add some gelatine when the temp has dropped. Stir about half a teaspoon in water that has been boiled and cooled to say 70C into your fermenter. This will clear your beer and settle the yeast.

As to the quality of your hops I see you live in Brisbane. Click on the Craftbrewer link above for fresh produce, good prices, great advice and service.

Edit note:
Hmmm
Just sampled an AG lager done as per above. Mighty drinkable after 2 weeks....

My question is will this do away with age or would i be better dumping it and using the bottles for a nice AG APA?

It sure will go away, just give it some more time :)

My best K&K kits were lagers and the early bottled ones always had the sulpher for a while. It mellows out into that lovely lager taste eventually.

Troy

Thanks everyone, I'll give them a few months and see how they go.

I don't have a fridge, i controlled the temp by putting the fermenter in a styro box with frozen water bottles.

I have a partial version of Ross' Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale in primary at the moment, got all the ingredients from Ross @ craftbrewer, i couldn't believe the difference with the hops, so much better.

Back