Help Please! -wheat Beer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vajoiner

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help with a little concern i have with my current brew.

I have just taken a couple of hyrdo readings over the last couple of days and it seems to not have moved so i am thinking the brew has finished fermenting.

So heres the issue.... If its finished brewing and the ABV is only 3.4%, little low for my liking.

Below are the details on what i brewed with and some specs.

Wals Wheat Beer Kit
Wheat Brew Boost
Ale Yeast
Coriander Seeds (told its pretty good when trying to get a Hoegarden taste)

Pitching temp : 28-30 (got temp off side of fermenter)
Starting Grav. 1042
Current Grav. 1020

The airlock has stopped bubbling bit i know from reading the threads its not a good indicator.

Brew has been down for 2 weeks today and im in Sydney and the fermenter is just in the shed so temp flactuations would be high (roughly from 4-18 degrees)

Any help is good help!!

Cheers!!!

i would say that you probably want to get the temp up a bit higher, if its getting down to 4 deg the yeast is probably napping{ie, hasnt finished fermenting yet]. Ale yeast needs (i think) above 15 degrees to fire. Unless someone says im wrong ;)

Thanks mate. Might buy a heater pad or something to get the temp up during the night.

Might hug it a little while i watch the Socceroos!!!!!

Thanks again

The zest from 2 - 3 oranges is apparently is also great in a Hoegaarden... Maybe for next time ^_^

My guess would be that if its getting down to 4deg, the yeast may have become dormant.

Bring the fermenter inside where hopefully the temps are a bit more stable and at the upper end of your range there.

Thanks heaps guys.

Just read up on a few older posts and im thinking of getting an aquarium immersion heater into a large bucket of water with the fermenter in the water. They regulate them selves etc.

Will let you know the outcome!!!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back