HELP! new roof leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcmr

Reaction score
Hi. I just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning, I thought it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking I'm just too picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valleys is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber-feeling stuff down the length. I called the contractor he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. It's black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seem like a solution that will last too long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there are also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get some kind of money back or the work done right.

Hi. I just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning, I thought it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking I'm just too picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valleys is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber-feeling stuff down the length. I called the contractor he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. It's black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seem like a solution that will last too long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there are also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get some kind of money back or the work done right.
Sorry for so long please help.

Caulking is for gutters, not for roofs. Water will move or run along caulking and find a new way to get in.

Steps for shingles.

New sheathing plywood on roof. Or repair missing , rotted boards.
Then tape all the joints.
Membrane sheathing rolled out and secured to waterproof entire roof and extra on the valleys.
Add shingles.
Leak proof roof complete

Video on membrane.

Not a main stream type of roofing but bitumen / asphalt shingles are being used. Town houses that are looking for a different vibe are getting on board. If done right the ascetics are fantastic.

Don't care about awesome, different aesthetics. Weatherproof and long lasting is what I want.

If done correctly it is more weatherproof than tiles or colorbond sheets. What looks good can be better. Just don't get cowboys, plenty out there.

Probably better forums out there for advice on this. Alternatively, RDWHAHB

Caulking is for gutters, not for roofs. Water will move or run along caulking and find a new way to get in.

Steps for shingles.

New sheathing plywood on roof. Or repair missing , rotted boards.
Then tape all the joints.
Membrane sheathing rolled out and secured to waterproof entire roof and extra on the valleys.
Add shingles.
Leak proof roof complete

roofers of arlington
Video on membrane.

thank you so much for your suggestion

Back