Help! I Used Scented Nappy Powder To Wash Bottles!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
As above...

In frustration i used some nappy wash stuff which was scented to wash about 50 bottles...

I figured by the time a rinse a few times and let steriliser, sodium metabisulphide... any remaining scent would be reomved...

How can i "make" sure any scent is completely gone before i use the bottles?

I have rinsed each bottle 4 times now and i cannot detect any odour... perhaps the odour would carry more in plastic than glass???

Im thinking of soaking for a few days in a bleach solution than rinsing a few more times?

Put as many bottles as you can fit in the laundry sink, fill with hot water, let soak for a while, pull plug out, vigorously shake water out of bottle, sniff, repeat if your sniff sniffs scented nappy wash stuff.....pretty easy really. They'll be right.

Edit....ignore what I just said as you cannot detect any odour. Dont put them in bleach, there is no need. You will have to re-soak again and again in very hot water to get rid of the bleach.

i used scented napi powder and didnt seem to have a problem but I always rinse 3 times. I dont think it would worry glass maybe if left in a fermenter then it may go into the plastic.

I have rinsed each bottle 4 times now and i cannot detect any odour...

If you can not detect odour now it seems unlikely you will detect anything in the final beer.

Incidentally, my LHBS carries a scented cleaner. Never figured out why.

As above...

In frustration i used some nappy wash stuff which was scented to wash about 50 bottles...

I figured by the time a rinse a few times and let steriliser, sodium metabisulphide... any remaining scent would be reomved...

How can i "make" sure any scent is completely gone before i use the bottles?

you are good to go then
maybe try hot water rinse just before a quick spray with th iodophor

HA !

There it is, thats it right there.. the "tough" love.. the real kind of love, its right there baby !!
*cackles gleefully*

On a serious note, if you cant smell it, probably wont taste it. (but Ive never been there, so I really have no idea).
Good luck, may the force be with you.

HA !

There it is, thats it right there.. the "tough" love.. the real kind of love, its right there baby !!
*cackles gleefully*

On a serious note, if you cant smell it, probably wont taste it. (but Ive never been there, so I really have no idea).
Good luck, may the force be with you.

I accidentally used a perfumed variety,after many rinses with boiling water.I could not smell it,sure could taste it six weeks later.40lts down the drain,it was used in my willow no chill cubes.Plastic.

I think a good acid wash will fix glass up beautifully.

Far out... I just use standard dish washing detergent before I sanitize...
Works for me...

Latest posts

Back