Help - Have I Killed My Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
I put down a Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter this evening but I accidentally put some hot tap water into the wort. I mixed up the dry ingredients, then the LCD read between 28 and 32 degrees so I chucked the yeast in.

That was about 5pm and since then the fermenter has only bubbled when I screwed the lid on extra tight. The yeast appears to be floating on top of the wort in whitish looking clumps. Is it dead or just going slowly?

I put down a Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter this evening but I accidentally put some hot tap water into the wort. I mixed up the dry ingredients, then the LCD read between 28 and 32 degrees so I chucked the yeast in.

That was about 5pm and since then the fermenter has only bubbled when I screwed the lid on extra tight. The yeast appears to be floating on top of the wort in whitish looking clumps. Is it dead or just going slowly?

Relax, have a home brew. While doing that do a search on recommended fermentation temperatures and fermentation temperature control and good yeast strains.

Screwy

Don't panic - 32 degrees isn't nearly hot enough to kill your yeast. For many types of dried yeast that's the recommended rehydration temperature (I often rehydrate in the range 25-30, or so).

Mind you, your yeast will be generally be happier if you do a few simple - and free - things for them, though they are still optional:
- Always thrash some oxygen into your wort, by whatever sanitary means you prefer
- Rehydrate dried yeast in a cup of (sterile) water for 30 minutes before pitching

cheers!

pretty much RDWHAHB. As has been said before, yeast is pretty hard to kill, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Don't be too concerned about having to have the blooping, the fermenter doesn't need to be air tight anyway (the hole for the airlock in my fermenter has a temp probe going through it and has gaffer tape going over it)- as long as the fermentation is happening. Give it some time and it should be fine :)

Beernography, Does your airlock hold pressure or does thew water equalize.( S bend Airlock) I Have 3 coopers fermenters that do not bubble through the air lock after the first couple of brews. I was also worried about my yeast but had no problem when final gravity readings were taken. I fixed this problem by running 2 seals on the lid and now every brew bubbles through the air lock.

Cheers,
Ian

I think you hit the nail on the head Iann. I have used my brother's coopers fermenter which I haven't used before except for a non alcoholic ginger beer. Today the krausen has spread and the airlock is moving (I marked it with plumber's tape) and I noticed the seal appears to have air running under the sections that aren't damp.

It seems to have a pleasant yeasty smell wafting out so I think it's fine and just the crap rubber seal on the cooper's fermenter. I might give the gladwrap top method a go next brew and see if it's as good as that fellow who pimps it says it is :D

You could also try a food grade lubricant on the seal. I can not find any at my local HBS but will purchase in my next interstate order and give this a try. Have done brews where the air lock has not bubbled and they have been OK. But I still prefer to see the bubbling as it gives me confidence from the start things are OK. As long as the end result is OK it is not a problem just another option to consider. If you do try a lubricant on your O Ring make sure it is compatible or your lid will glue / melt to your fermerter. :(

Cheers'
Ian

I was looking for silicon spray but couldn't find it for love or money. I saw canola oil and thought about it but I thought it may attract insects. My brother screwed the lid down tight and since then it has been bubbling merrily :D

(I marked it with plumber's tape) and I noticed the seal appears to have air running under the sections that aren't damp.

gday beernography,
I found that a lot of the airlocks have a line on the side ,from the mould its made in,this often is not smooth enough to seal,so take a small sharp knife and clean off the excess and you find find that it might just do the trick.
regarding the seal in the lid, make sure its moist when place it in the lid,will helpp to create seal,

good luck and happy brewing,
cheers amita

Hey!! Fancy you should mention that cause I actually remembered that advice from times past (on the forum) and scraped the airlock! Wasn't the culprit on this fermenter though, it was a big offender on my primary fermenter however and worked a charm on it. Thanks!

Back