Help: Filter Not Sealing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to filter my first batch using a filter the same as CB sells (would have used a sponsor but Keg King is just up the road and I'l lazy!).

Running Star San through to sanitise everything and once the filter fills up I open up the valve on the out side of the filter (going to the keg) but the Star San is bubbling out slowly from where the top of the filter top screws to the housing.

I pulled it apart and flipped the clear silicone seals that hold the filter in place but it's still bubbles out.

Can anyone help as Google and AHB Search are giving me donuts.

Cheers

Mr W

Mr W,

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but please be aware that Keg King do not sell the same filter units as us, there is a huge difference.

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

You might try a bit of the keg lube on the seal ring and top of the filter cartridge. Make sure it's the food grade stuff, Luke the stuff I got from CB. Works for me, and also good for the keg seals as well.

Should there be a seal between the top and bottom housing?

I think I've got the silicone seals on the filter itself and screwed that sucker on as tight as it can go but without a seal of gasket is just seems like it's always going to leak.

Thanks Ross.

Must be missing that then, will have to get down to KK and get my Golden Ale in the keg tomorrow.

Cheers

Mr W

Make sure you get a good thick o-ring - the one that came with my filter housing (not from KK, but I suspect re-sold through them) never sealed despite copius lube.

Chris

Thanks Ross.

Must be missing that then, will have to get down to KK and get my Golden Ale in the keg tomorrow.

Cheers

Mr W

You can fudge the lid sealing ring from a corny keg onto your filter lid... Will get the beer filtered till you can get an appropriate replacement for the filter.

I've got to say... i've read numerous posts about filters not sealing/leaking or not filtering properly... I've probably filtered over 1000L and not once have I had any of these problems. The common problem seems to be type of filter... looks as though the "cheap" ones from ebay or online are always problematic. No affiliation, but i have the Craftbrewer version and have alwyas been happy and problem free.

However... don't leave it unattended leaning against the side of the fermenter upside on a bench while in action. The other night I... A friend of a friend did this :ph34r: and when the filter housing toppled over it pulled the gravity connection out of the fermenter, pulled the line out of the keg and the floor ended up with half a batch of beer on it. I came to the conclusion... So he told me... when filtering make sure you secure the filter housing so it doesn't fall a metre or so onto the floor.

However... don't leave it unattended leaning against the side of the fermenter upside on a bench while in action. The other night I... A friend of a friend did this :ph34r: and when the filter housing toppled over it pulled the gravity connection out of the fermenter, pulled the line out of the keg and the floor ended up with half a batch of beer on it. I came to the conclusion... So he told me... when filtering make sure you secure the filter housing so it doesn't fall a metre or so onto the floor.

Very funny stuff.

Sounds like the more high tech version of "shit, not again, i left my tap open.."

Not that that's ever happened to me more than a handful of times.

Fire up the twilight zone music, I rang Ross about this same problem last week and my name is Mr Wilson. :eek:

After lubing the o-ring it now works perfectly. So you might need to lube it still after you purchase the o-ring...

Got my o-ring from KK so fingers crossed I can get started on filtering tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Mr W

I had same problem, I now spray a little silicon spray on the seal...........just be careful not to overtighten because it crimps the seal and pushes it down into the housing and your back to square 1 again. Your casing is probably see through, so have a look through it and make sure it has not crimped after you tightened it.

Good luck

Same issue, filter from beer belly.

Only way to stop the leakage is to have a shot of spinach, put it in a vice and get all pop-eye onto it.
No chance in hell of closing it normally.

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you guys know that once the o-ring was in place the KK filter was perfect. Not a drop spilt.

Very happy.

Cheers

Mr W

Latest posts

Back