Help Drinking And Brewing Dont Mix!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulus

Reaction score
Need some help/advise here,about a week ago i put down a brew (manticles sweet stout),mind you it was Saturday and i had given the keg fridge a workout!
Mashed in,sparged, drank more beer,boiled etc done hydro readings couldnt workout why the figures didnt work!Pitched the yeast as it was late i went to bed
So here we are today finally got a day off to brew Dr Smurtos GoldenAle,grabbed the grain from the box and holy s..t the was another package of grain with stout written on it!F##K
The question is can i mash those grains(around 3.5kg) just collect the first runnings,boil for one hour,cool then pitch onto the existing fermenting stout then hopefully the O.G. will be somewhere near acceptable.
Or let the existing stout ferment out,then brew the other grains as normal,ferment then blend!?
I used wyeast 1084 irish ale
Hope my ramblings make sense,and any criticism(i bloody deserve it) or advise would be appreciated!
thanks humulus

I'm confused, what did you brew with last week? Did you just brew with the DSGA grain and use 1084?

It might also depends on what grains you have left, you may need base malt to get the conversion going in the mash.

I'm confused, what did you brew with last week? Did you just brew with the DSGA grain and use 1084?
bigsam im brewing DSGA as we speak.Last week i brewed the stout,ordered my grain from C.B and the stout came in 2 seperate bags along with DSGA in its own bag,so in my half pissed excitment i only grabbed one of the stout bags and brewed with that,it was only today when i went to brew DSGA did i realise that i had another half of the stout grain was left

It might also depends on what grains you have left, you may need base malt to get the conversion going in the mash.
Acasta ive got around 3.5kgs of grain i ordered it from C.B. so hopefully the grain order was made up then milled in bulk so there is a good mix,man what a dickhead i am!

If it was me I would look at making another brew; normal grain + normal hops + extra left over grain.
Since the other is already fermenting, I would ferment this one as is, then blend the two.

QldKev

You can mash and boil and add in or you can ferment separately and blend.

Were your hop additions added as for the whole recipe? Gravity will change the utilisation.

im guessing it will be piss weak and really bitter...
maybe just redo and lesson learnt?
p.s this is similar to what happened to me, except I was from milling grains on a different mill and getting much less efficiency. Didnt test gravity at preboil, used same amount of hops and now have 26lt of the above result.

Whatever you do, make sure you get your volumes right, otherwise you end up with a double batch still only with half your desired gravity. Even if you only collect first runnings you will be out, although probably still better than now. Best to do what Kev said, this way you end up with a full gravity double batch. You'd think that this way the hops would almost even out as well. One batch over utilised, the other under utilised.

Or put it down as a lesson learned and use for unwanted guests etc.

Edit:spelling

You can mash and boil and add in or you can ferment separately and blend.

Were your hop additions added as for the whole recipe? Gravity will change the utilisation.
Yep manticle hop additions were as per the recipe,just took a hydro reading 1020 and still fermenting tastes ok little bit bitter not too bad though!

Problem you will have is your liquid volume when you mash is going to weaken the final volume. You can probably get most of the extract from this grain with about 10L of wort, you are still going to have a fairly weak beer when you combine the two. You might be better off doing this like a partial mash. Get a can of goop and put it in with the fermenting stout. It's probably your best bet to save it.

There are recipies which add femernentables after fermentation has started. So there shouldn't be too many issues with what you plan to do. It's just not adding too much liquid to the wort and having a lot of weak beer. The other option is to take the first runnings like you said, most of the sugas should be in it and put it in as many pots and pans as you have, get every stove in you house cranking on it and boil as much water away as you can.

There are ways to save it so don't chuck what you have. However seeing as it's my recipe, I'm going to recommend you make it again from scratch, properly.

For this one, maybe try mashing the left over grains, sparging less to get higher gravity, boiling with few or no hops then adding it in or fermenting separately and blending.

There are ways to save it so don't chuck what you have. However seeing as it's my recipe, I'm going to recommend you make it again from scratch, properly.

For this one, maybe try mashing the left over grains, sparging less to get higher gravity, boiling with few or no hops then adding it in or fermenting separately and blending.
Manticle ive ordered a whole new batch of grain too try this again from scratch,no beers this time before its in the kettle!,i will mash the left over grain separately and add it or like you said ferment separately then blend in the racking vessel before gassing
:icon_chickcheers:

Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

I reckon being able to drink pints and mash/boil successfully should be an ambition for every brewer.

Latest posts

Back