Help - Brew Rig Valve Configuration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hi,

My project over the christmas break is to build the brew rig, or at least parts of it.
Today I've drawn what the valve configuration would be based on 3 position ball valves from T&S Stainless.

I cannot get it work. do I need more valves or have I got this all wrong.

Can you help?

See drawing attached

thanks

BOG

Brewing_Setup.jpg

Looking at this diagram might help you nut it out, not using 3 pos valves though, just garden variety 2 pos full bore valves.

Cheers,

Screwy

HERMS_VALVES.JPG

ok I think I have a solution for you,

V3 and V4 would have to be the 3 way T type valves Link

V3 would have to have its port connecting to V4 and outlet 1 would connect to the Kettle and outlet 2 would connect to Vavle 2
So the sequence would go:
HLT > TUN
V1 - 1
V2 - 1
V3 - 2
V4 - 1

TUN > Kettle
V1 - 2
V2 - 1
V3 - 3 (from 1 to 2)
V4 - 2

Kettle > Fermenter
V1 - 2
V2 - 2
V3 - 1
V4 - 3 (from 1 to 2)

Hope that helps.

I don't have a march pump but I think you should have the inlet at the bottom so it will self prime

edit; how about a pretty picture?

Thanks for the responses.

Flash - I don't understand the 3rd position as the valves I was going to use have one inlet (port) and to outlets. There is not a third position to shut off the valve.

But maybe that's the trick, A single vlave to shut off the flow back up to the tun from the kettle.

Screwtop - Your design make it simplier but just moving one hose. I have CamLock quick disconnects now so that may be a simplier solution.
I found that SS 1/2" tube is just $5.50 per meter. So the ultimate plan would be to plumb it all in.

glaab - I use Viso a lot at work so that took about 30 minutes to do (not very busy just before christmas) , but took about an hour figuring out the flows and still didn't work it out.

Raven - Browndog's configuration is very similar, except that there is no pump function from the kettle. Looks like it's just coming out of the kettle via a tap.
I need to (want to) pump it through the plate chiller (heat exchanger) to chill the wort. If there is a lot of trub it does not gravity feed well at the trub blocks up the BB hopscreen.

Anyway, given me some thoughts on options.

BOG

Make sure you are getting a 3 way valve with a T Ball, most are an L Ball.
You also need another location description, for when the lower leg of the T is facing the blank side of the valve body. In the case of valve 2 in the drawing, when you are pumping to anything other than the Heat Exchanger the indicator would be in position 0.

Im building a larger brewhouse over the Xmas break and have gone with flexible hose, one to the pump another from it, just put them where I want them, makes it harder to make mistakes, and you can see at a glance whats connected to where.
Mind you they gave me a fright when I was told the hose was $240 odd a meter, got lucky, they had 6 meters left over from a Bluetongue order so they discounted it to $125 for me, plus GST so over $800 (OUCH).
MHB

Am I missing something? Why is the plumbing so complex and all these, I would hate to be switching half of these configurations on brew day.

Why not go with something like this?

march_pump.JPG

QldKev

This is simple and cost about sixty bucks with polypropylene plumbing and a scrounged washing machine pump. I use gravity to fill the fermenter so I dont have to sterilise the pump
DSCN02680348.JPG
Scan10001.JPG

QldKev,

After seeing a picture of brown dogs config. Which is just taps off a common rail I think your idea has merit.

But I would like to pump hot wort via a hopback (not shown) through the plate chiller (drawn as heat exchanger) and into the fermentor.
Unless you have afew feet of drop to get a strong syphon going the hop screen in the kettle slows the flow so much it may as well be stopped.
Pumping the wort would be easier.

Your config has no option for that. However, it is cheaper by using less taps.

BOG

You have 2 options,

Option 1 re route the hoses at the end ready for the draining.
march_pump.JPG

Or Add in and extra valve and have everything in fixed positions.
march_pump2.JPG

QldKev

Back