Hello to all here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well finaly I had my first glass of my DrSmurto (based) GB brew. I think I overdid it with the limes and used the wrong yeast (champange) it is very much like a Ginger wine is how I would explain it has a very good ginger bite but also a very dry tart taste. Never mind thats what learning is all about. AC is good though. Keep experiming is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback :) It's drinkable is all I can say not even any fizz, yet the PET bottles are as hard as rocks on opening there is a slight hiss and thats it :unsure: after pouring it's as flat as a tack would not make a good D&S even.

Just put down a new batch of GB on the KISS method :p

1X coopers GB kit
1 kg dextrose
1x 750ml Buderim Ginger refresher
750g dark brown CSR molasses sugar
750g ginger root pulsed in a vitamiser with 1 lemon rind off 2 cinamon sticks steeped in hot water about 1 hr inside a brew bag 1 chilli 3 cloves then transfered to the FV.
Alowed all to cool then
Muntons GERVIN GV10 light sparkling wine yeast rehydrated

SG is 1.050
Taste is excellent :D :kooi:

Had to see what the fuss was all about :p it certainly made a difference, I didnt put it into a hot mix though left it right untill last after everything had cooled. That and the dark brown molasses sugar seems to h done the trick very well. :chug:

I just finished drinking a GB from scratch recipe from here I don't know what went wrong but all I can say is it was just drinkable had a good kick but did not taste like a GB should have to me, more like a dry wine. Please point me at the one you are referring to Kingy. :unsure:

Hi Kingy

Thanks for that link looks interesting. One question should I use the Safale S-05 or go with the Champange/Wine yeast. My LBS tells me that Safale S-05 is more for the colder climates and the Chmpange/Wine yeast is more tolerant to warmer climates ?

Ive used us05 and yeast cakes from wheat beer and saison. Cant really tell the differance. I let them ferment at ambient with my gingers to. Id use us05 over a wine yeast. Dunno what the ginger price is up there but its expensive here. Its the only reason i dont do it regulary. Its about 60 bux for all the ingredients here for that brew. Definately worth it tho.

Thats what I was going to use on my last GB thats in the FV now Safale S-05 the brew shop had it but recommened the wine yeast because I dont ferment in refrigeration they advised the light wine yeast because the temp here is above the recommend for S-05 . Ginger up here at the supermarkets is aroung $19 per kg at the local frsh produce markets on the weekend fresh ginger at around $13 per kg. Can I ask why the big boil up of all the ingredients ? a 22 litre boil is huge I don't have anything near that size all I could do is boil individualy then combine in the FV . :unsure:

Croc_TFNQ said:
Thats what I was going to use on my last GB thats in the FV now Safale S-05 the brew shop had it but recommened the wine yeast because I dont ferment in refrigeration they advised the light wine yeast because the temp here is above the recommend for S-05 .
Using a wine/champagne yeast is what is giving you the dry and tart taste. Although it may well ferment better in the warmer ambient temperatures you have up in FNQ, something like US-05 or similar will give you the "beery" taste that you're after.

As a few people have mentioned, if you're keen to continue brewing then a cheapo fridge and a temperature controller will do wonders for your brew!

schtev

Thanks for the input I realise most are saying US-05 or similar are the way to go for yeasts and I take that on board. As a newbie to brewing I hesitate when I read "best results belwo 25c" as the preferred temp for the yeasts. I will try them on my next brew. Thanks And a fridge and controlled temp is out of the question wonders or not if I could do it I would have by now.

cheers from TFNQ.

Just bottled this brew

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:54 PM
Just put down a new batch of GB on the KISS method :p

1X coopers GB kit
1 kg dextrose
1x 750ml Buderim Ginger refresher
750g dark brown CSR molasses sugar
750g ginger root pulsed in a vitamiser with 1 lemon rind off 2 cinamon sticks steeped in hot water about 1 hr inside a brew bag 1 chilli 3 cloves then transfered to the FV.
Alowed all to cool then
Muntons GERVIN GV10 light sparkling wine yeast rehydrated

SG is 1.050
Taste is excellent :D :kooi:

FG was .904

Back