Hello to all here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingy said:
Dunno if you've seen this thread before but i brew chappos recipe in the first post but i add 1 chilli (tried 3 but it overpowered the ginger lol. also i add a bottle of buderim ginger cordial the last 10 mins of the boil. Its mainly lactose so its unfermentable and the ginger cordial flavour makes it a lot botter than without in my opinion. Ive brewed it msny times as well.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/30492-Ginger-Beer-Recipe---Scratch-Brew-No-Kit
Hi Kingy

Yes I have chappos recipe very similat to DrSmurto but with added honey. I am brewing DrSmurto s tomorrow. I love chilli but at this stage my aim is to get a GB recipe that i really like. My aim is as close as Possible to Matsos Breweries in Broome WA they makean awesome GB but a little low on the Alcohol content. If I can replicate that with higher Alcohol then I am a happy brewer then I waill play with chillis. The buderim cordial cantains 211 presertative Potassium Benzoate
which I dont like as it converts to benzene when exposed to heat and light being an ex Firie I don't like benzene. Thanks for the link though we are thinking alike and thats a plus.

No I have not tried little fat lamb ? (where do they get these names ) I am not into overly sweet drinks is why I like the Matso's from Broome.

cheers :beer:

First Brew from Scratch no kit :unsure:

I just finished the brew waiting for it to cool down.
I used nearly 2kg fresh ginger with about 150gm included in that of reasonably old ginger pureed in blender.
Zested 2 lemons and 1 lime removed the pith then juiced them sliced them up.
8cloves
1and 1/2 cinnamon sticks
2kg of raw sugar and 1kg dextrose
Put it all into a brew straining bag and threw it all into a 15 liter pot and boiled gentle for about 40mins.
FV is steralised and waiting for the brew to cool then I am going to top up to 24litre or so.
I have 2 sachets of champagne yeast ready to go that I was going to rehydrate before adding to FV.

I plan to drain squeeze all the juice out of the brew straining bag and discard the pulp.

This should be interesting will post start SG when I take it before final sealing.

I forgot to say thank you to all those that have advised me up to this point and in the future.

The recipe above is based on DrSmurto's 2008 recipe as a matter of fact all I did was increase the ginger amount and added 1 lime and dextrose to make up for the extra size of the brew. So thank you thank you all very much.

It will be interesting when I finally get to taste it lets hope it bubbles (ferments) away merrily.

Well just cracked my first bottle of the GB brew based on chromesphere pimped GB recipe I put down on 23rd March :( not particulary impressed. Not much fizz to it at all even thought the pet bottle was quite hard to squeeze and a seriously bad artificial sweetner after taste. The Ginger bite is good as I added extra ginger, I would have liked mor carbonation to it, and that articial sweetner taste is a killer. I used Morgans.

My new GB brew has been in the FV for 8days now has been fermenting seriously off it's brain from about 7hrs arfter sealing off the FV and is still very slightly fermenting away. There will be NO artificial sweetner taste to this one it is DrSmutos recipe GB from scratch :drinks: it also has a much clearer appearance to it.

Thanks to all for your help and advice

Hmmm gremlins and I don't know how this occurs last night I posted that I was not impressed with my first ever GB based on chromesphere pimped GB recipe, as it was very flat with nearly no carbonation and a shocking after taste of artificial sweetener . To night I cracked a second bottle and it is good not just good it is very good. Great head on the glass and a good taste with nice ginger after bite. Still a little of the artificial sweetener taste but no where as bad as the first bottle.

cool :chug: :beer: :drinks:

manticle said:
There's that patience thing again.
Yes I supose it is not really knowing how long to leave it after bottling I thought is a bit of a worry. Its better with each bottle so far alcohol content I would say is neglible from the Morgans kit brew (my first one)

I also thought I had posted the start SG of my all root GB by DrSmurto but it appears I had not. ??? It was in the 5% range just beofre sealing off the FV around the 1.040 something mark on 12th April now is at 907 way up in the wine bracket on my Hydrometer I think I have made ginger wine and not sweet at all even with 2kg raw sugar and 1kg dextrose in it :unsure: what have I done ?????? help pleeeeeeze

Pic Below is of first glass of first bottle of the Morgans kit brew. IMG_0623.JPG

Pic below is the first glass of second bottle of Morgans Kit brew much better head both pics taken as soon as pouredIMG_0624.JPG

wereprawn said:
You could back sweeten with some ginger cordial.
It already has one hell of a Ginger kick I have 2kg of root ginger in it. If I get no more suggestion got nothing to lose I am trying to avoid all artificial sweeteners though. Its only been 11days in the FV so is not a rush at this stage.

thanks mate

Sugar (as in cane, table, white, raw, dextrose or sucrose) will not sweeten a brew. It ferments right out, adding alcohol and no body.

Croc_TFNQ said:
It already has one hell of a Ginger kick I have 2kg of root ginger in it. If I get no more suggestion got nothing to lose I am trying to avoid all artificial sweeteners though. Its only been 11days in the FV so is not a rush at this stage.

thanks mate
Plenty of other things you can back sweeten with. You could try lemon barley water, diluted honey, sugar water ect. Put the desired amount in your glass and pour your GB on top.

wereprawn said:
Plenty of other things you can back sweeten with. You could try lemon barley water, diluted honey, sugar water ect. Put the desired amount in your glass and pour your GB on top.
Ok now I see where your coming from with the back sweeten thing, I thought you meant add to the FV before bottling ? as you can tall I am a novice here.

I was hoping there might be something I could add prior to bottling ??

manticle said:
Sugar (as in cane, table, white, raw, dextrose or sucrose) will not sweeten a brew. It ferments right out, adding alcohol and no body.
Hi manticle

I spose honey would be out of the question as well ?

In my DrSmurto recipe my hydrometer reading is now 901 way up in the wine scale ? seeing as how it has dropped a bit in the last week I am leaving it till next week to bottle. Question is there nay harm in leaving ? a bit longer taste is still dry and tart.

Latest posts

Back