Hello to all here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croc_TFNQ

Reaction score
Hi are there any brewers from the tropical areas of Australia here ? as I am informed it makes a difference how to brew a good ginger beer.
I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to home brewing, except for a seriously failed attempt way back in the late 1970's that kept me away from any home brew until this present time. :)
Now, as such an uninformed novice, I would like to pose some questions if you have the patientce. As I now want to start brewing an Alcoholic Ginger Beer along the lines of Matso's in Broome WA. Even a bit more alcohol content but not to ridiculous levels :)
I was all set to start, so I went to my local Home Brewing outlet for advice and get a grip on the start up needs and equipment.
I had it in my mind to start the brew from making a root ginger plant (bug) and letting it do its thing with loving care on the bench top, then transfering to a fermenter untill it was ready to bottle.
I was strongly advised this was NOT the way to go in the Tropical Climate of Cairns Nth Queensaland to use the guys words "it will taste like sh*t" because there is to much wild yeast floating around here because of the climate, his advice was use a canned premix Ginger Beer and add more ginger root if I wanted more Ginger taste.
Also on the subject of sugars I was going to use raw sugar again the advice was no.
Any thoughts on this please ?

I would welcome any good relevent advice please

Thank you.

Hey

Thanks Screwy :) appreciate the link I am just about to start a brew today using a bought pack of Morgans plus adding ginger and cinnamon to the FV.
I went to that link and sent off my details.

That almost looks like Flinders Beach on Nth Straddie behind you :)

Cheers Mate

Croc

Well just completed making and mixing into the FV my first Ginger Beer. Thanks to the recipe of chromesphere and the suggestions of grott .

Grott I did not have a clue what steeping was until I realised it was blanching not boiling :)

All I altered using Morgans GB mix was substituting the lemon for a whole large lime quatered and in the bag with the cloves Cinnemon Sticks and ginger. I grated up two very large young ginger roots skin and all. Could not get a "brew bag" so at the suggestion of my home brew shop owner here in Cairns I bought a pair of knee high womens stockings boiled one to sterilise it and put my additives into the stocking tied it off and dropped it in the brew.

Its now doing it's thing in the garage ? :unsure:

Hope it all ends well :chug: File 24-03-2015 13 16 41.jpegFile 24-03-2015 13 15 10.jpeg

Croc_TFNQ said:
I was strongly advised this was NOT the way to go in the Tropical Climate of Cairns Nth Queensaland to use the guys words "it will taste like sh*t" because there is to much wild yeast floating around here because of the climate, his advice was use a canned premix Ginger Beer and add more ginger root if I wanted more Ginger taste.
I know someone that did the plant method and it worked. Homebrew shops sometimes give advice based on what works for them.

indica86

Hi mate yes have sent off registration and confirmation to http://bigfathooker....igfathooker.com today :) thanks for the other link http://www.fnqbrewer...forum/index.php as well can never have to many ideas, to try.

Thanks for the info

cheers :beerbang:

Just went to and got :huh: thanks for the link but it looks like it's all beer no GB

FNQ Brewers Forum

I brew, therefore I ferment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New members cannot post until approved by admin. Spammers - you can register all you like but you will never post a single message. Have a nice day.

Info

This forum is not accepting new registrations.
Go back

Board footer

Some of the guys brew GB. Via the mailing list - same people - you'll be able to get into the forum if you ask.

I think it has died :unsure: put my ginger beer down on Tuesday tuesday night it was fermenting and bubbling away Wednesday bubbling away just about set your watch by it every 8-10secs there was action in the one way compartment. Thursday morning it is as dead as a dodo saw the guy in Brew shop he said to do a hydrometer reading which I did 1.2in the beer range :huh: will do another tomorrow Friday :( :( sad very sad for my first attempt.

First- relax, it did something and is probably still doing something. Check your hydrometer again in a few days and the reading will probably have changed.
Second - I think you're reading your hydrometer wrong. You don't really look at the abv side, you look at the specific gravity side which probably reads something like 1.012. You take the original reading and the current reading to work out the actual alcohol content.

Phonos

Yes I am doing another SG reading tomorrow 24hrs after the one today and yes your correct it wa 1.012 never read on of these things before. It has been very hot and humid here although most of the day hovering around 30c but for a couple of hours 1200 to around 1400 is up around 32c so today wrapped the fermenter in a wet towel and kept it wet. Was thinking if it is the same mid day Saturday to maybe add yeast again ? Your thoughts appreciated ?

Croc

indicia86

Today 24hrs after first hydrometer reading 1.011 SG being a novice I don't know what is good and what is bad all I know is the people at the home brew shop told me it should be around 1.100 after 6days ?? :unsure: :unsure:

Croc_TFNQ said:
indicia86

Today 24hrs after first hydrometer reading 1.011 SG being a novice I don't know what is good and what is bad all I know is the people at the home brew shop told me it should be around 1.100 after 6days ?? :unsure: :unsure:
The shop should've told you it'll be 1.010 (rather than 1.100). Don't stress about the number of days. It's done when it's done.

It won't necessarily always be bang on 1.010, so don't stress about that either.

Even if bubbling through airlock has stopped that does not mean it has finished fermenting. There's a lot that goes on after the bubbling stops.

I'd always just wait out the 6 days recommended (well, I'd leave it for 7 because I always brew on the same day of the week). Take a gravity reading on the 5th day, then again on final day just as a double check.

The people at the homebrew shop also told you that traditional ginger beer plant method does not work in FNQ. This is clearly NOT true. Also no reason to not use raw sugar, apart from the fact the shop doesn't sell it.
And the brew will be finished when it is finished.
Don't sweat and leave it alone.

Ok thanks to all who are assisting :) me I got the message leave it alone for 6 or 7 days then bottle it and see :unsure: sorry if I am being unsure and going on about what is happening, but that is what I am with this, as it is brand new to me. Tasted some from the hydrometer tube and it taste great just no fizz of course good ginger bite and just a hint of lime. :) the taste I am happy with as long as the rest works with a reasonable alcohol content I will be a happy brewer. :p

The resurrection :p

After 4 days of seeming death and three SG readings of 1.012 Thursday 1.011 Friday and 1.011 Saturday all taken at 1230hrs today Sunday it is bubbling away once more. I was at the stage of leaving and bottling at 7 days or adding more yeast to try to get it going, because I could not see how all the sugar would have been eaten by the yeast in just the one day of fermentation :unsure: as you know from my postings here, I was very very unsure. What had me intrigued all the time was the presence of masses of bubbles under the lid, but, not coming through the valve yet all the time the valve was clear (no blockages) and the lid super tight. :huh:
Lets hope it keeps working now it has been resurrected :) one question can I place my fermenter into a tub of water to attempt to keep it cooler ?
Thoughts please my friends.

Placing the fermenter in water is a very good idea. It will give a slower ferment but ultimately a tastier beverage.

All yeasts have a desired fermenting temperature range. Water baths can help get the ferment temp down, also draping a wet towel over the fermetner and facing a fan at it can help. But I'm thinking up your way it will be impossible to hit the optimum temps this time of year. Down here in Bundy I have a fermenter sitting with water in it in the car port, and I've set up a data logger recording the temps. I just checked it and it's 28.1c, way too hot for fermenting. All my beer is fermented in a fridge, where I use an external digital thermostat (search on here for stc) That way I can dial up 17.5c or what ever temp I want and walk away. Temperature control will make a great difference to the final product.

Latest posts

Back