Hello to all here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle

Thank you for all your patience and explanations :) eventualy I will get there I hope. One last question if I may as DrSumerto does not give any ammounts for this LDME/crystal malt can you hazard an answer into his recipe?
Also if I am reading your information correctly you are saying add malt at +75% more than a kit would recommend and more dextrose by +25% thank you for all your help once again. I am glad I found this Forum and such helpful knowledgeable mentors :D
cheers
Croc

75/25 of the dry sugar additions to a kit.

Think of a basic kit brew as a tin plus 1 kg of sugar. That sugar is dextrose (glucose) or table sugar (sucrose). Instead of the full kg of dex or sucrose, add between 800 and 1 kg of dry malt and then another few hundred grams of dex or sucrose. Roughly 3/4 malt to 1/4 dextrose. Malt is a touch less fermentable than dex so you need a bit more by weight for the same gravity. It's all about finding the balance.

I'm not sure of the amounts in smurto's gb. Can you link me to where you got the recipe?
He is also a forum member here and although he rarely posts, he does answer private messages.

manticle
Thanks for that it now makes much more sence even to me :)
Dr Smurtos recipe is from here posted October 2008 I am keen to do a GB brew that cuts out the artificial sweeteners used in the kits.
Again thank you very much for your help gradually things are becoming much more clearer.

cheers

Croc

ps: I just sent a pm to Dr Smurto thanks again

I'd like to see the recipe too. I have loads of ginger.

indicia86

Here you go mate in it's entitiety

DrSmurto

Beer God
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 4,785 posts
  • Joined 04-December 06

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:43 PM
20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)
2.5 kg raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves (the spice, not garlic.....)
2 lemons
Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

Boiling all of the lemon can lead to an astringency due to the pith. I havent found this to be the case but it could be hiding under all that ginger. The fresh ginger provides the aroma, the older stuff gives you an almighty ginger bite.

(have tried a combo of LDME/crystal malt and sugar, it depends on your taste - this turns out very dry. The ladies mix it with lemonade to sweeten it up)

Let me know what you think of it please as I hope to do it this Thursday :) :unsure: Credits of course to Dr Smurto in 2008 post.

Thanks buddy - surely it will be fine, it's a Smurto after all.

Cool then I'm there - the only thing I am not sure about is the combo of LDME/crystal malt and sugar as I said to manticle. I have sent Dr Smurto a PM asking him the amounts I will give it a couple of days, if no reply I will have to ask maybe LHBS or wing it :unsure:
The only gignger root I have is really freah so I will put it through the blender skin and all after a good wash. I will go with the champange yeast+extra, and a yeast enhancer. Finaly bottled my first brew after two weeks and a few days it finaly stabilised for three days.

I'm guessing the balance of malt/crystal/raw sugar will be a bit suck it and see and work out preference.

Wait till you hear back from smurto but if not, try 500g dme, 250g cracked crystal and 2 - 2.2 kg raw sugar. If you want it drier, back off on the malt/grain, sweeter/fuller, back off on the sugar and increase the malt.

manticle

Is the grain your speaking of the crystal malt ? Playing with the LDME nad crystal malt will not bee a tremendous worry to me if it only affects the dryness or sweetnedd I will err on the less sweet brew if possible. What I would like to get to is a ginger beer like Matso's From Broome but with a slightly higher alchol content around 5% is possible.
If I can approach that then I will be pretty stoked :chug: :D

Yes crystal is the only grain in there.
Brew without first up. If it is too dry for taste at the end of fermentation, you can boil up some malt in water, add, let that extra ferment out and see how it is. Start simple, work out where your tastes lie and don't stress too much.

manticle

Oh ok so I can add it after fermentation if it's to dry, then let it ferment again "cool" I like that.

You are a wealth of information :) all of you guys here are thank you so much.

Best helpful Forum I have ever been on :D

After main ferment, if you add extra fermentables, yeast will start again (to an extent) so you are not stuck with what you started with.

Do let it ferment out properly the second time and do boil it in some water to keep it sanitary.
Do not splash and do not add to bottled, primed beer/brew.

24 hours after bottling my bottles were pretty hard so I let a bit of pressure out ? hope this was the correct ting to do. :unsure:

Got a reply from Dr Smurto :D and with his permission I will post his PM reply as it has to do with his recipe 2008.

DrSmurto

Beer God
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 4,785 posts
  • Joined 04-December 06

Sent Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Hi Croc

To be honest, I was never overly happy with using LDME or crystal malt as they started to make the GB taste beery. I've done AG GBs and whilst nice I still prefer the all sugar version as it is all about the ginger bite.

You can wind back the sugar to reduce the alcohol content if needed or dilute the resulting GB which is my preferred method. I like it at 7%.

Cheers

Thank you Dr Smurto :beer:

I will brew his recipe how he suggests as its a proven product instead of mucking around with the fancy stuff.

Hi manticle

yes mate I am using PET checked them again today and they are getting hard again but not like rocks yet.

Hi all

What do the brew Gods think of this GB recipe ? I found on the net ? seems like a terrible lot of sugars ?

Here is my basic 6 USgal. recipe:

4.5Kg demarara sugar
500g corn sugar
10 lemons & all the zest
2 limes & all the zest
900g grated ginger
1 tsp bakers yeast
1 tsp Champagne yeast

I don't boil any ingredients, just thoroughly clean every piece of equipment you use and rinse with metabisulfite solution to sterilize be for using it. I also rinse the ginger root in the same solution after peeling it.

Dunno if you've seen this thread before but i brew chappos recipe in the first post but i add 1 chilli (tried 3 but it overpowered the ginger lol. also i add a bottle of buderim ginger cordial the last 10 mins of the boil. Its mainly lactose so its unfermentable and the ginger cordial flavour makes it a lot botter than without in my opinion. Ive brewed it msny times as well.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/30492-Ginger-Beer-Recipe---Scratch-Brew-No-Kit

Kingy said:
Its mainly lactose so its unfermentable and the ginger cordial flavour makes it a lot botter than without in my opinion.
No it is not...

Ingredients
Ginger Syrup 70% (Sugar, Water, Ginger), Water, Ginger Flavour, Food Acid (Citric Acid), Preservative (211), Vegetable Gum (415)

Latest posts

Back