Hello brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubrewer79

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the site so thought I should introduce myself. I’ve been brewing kits with extras for a couple of years but have just stepped up to all grain with BIAB. Did my first one today and pretty much hit all my targets so I’m happy with that. It was a long day but I’m sure it will get easier once I get the hang of it. Only issue I did have is that I ended up with what seems like a lot of trub in the FV. I didn’t use a hop spider or sock but the recipe only had a total of 40g throughout the boil so this was unexpected. Is this normal? I was thinking of getting a Lauter Helix or a hop spider or both? What are the opinions of the brains trust?

Since the hop addition was modest, a "lot of trub" might contain excessive precipitated proteins. You can reduce hot break slightly by skimming early in the boil. More important, the more you chill the wort before drawing it off to the fermenter, the more break you drop.

What was the grist?

As for the hops, I like socks and spiders. Not everyone does. Plenty of old threads about that on this and other forums.

Since the hop addition was modest, a "lot of trub" might contain excessive precipitated proteins. You can reduce hot break slightly by skimming early in the boil. More important, the more you chill the wort before drawing it off to the fermenter, the more break you drop.

What was the grist?

As for the hops, I like socks and spiders. Not everyone does. Plenty of old threads about that on this and other forums.
Ok, I’m new to all grain so any tips will help. I might try skimming next brew and see if that helps. I did chill the wort down to nearly pitching temp, was around 30-35c. I could chill it down to pitching temp but being my first run the day was a little chaotic at times and to be honest I didn’t think the immersion chiller was going to work as fast as it did so I didn’t have my yeast ready. I do cold crash so I’m sure it will compress down somewhat before I keg it. Grist was 3.6kg German Pilsner, 1.75kg Wheat Malt and 140g Sour Grapes Malt. Might look at getting a spider soon too.

AG will give you more trub than extract brewing, so you may not really have an excessive amount. Whether you do or not, if it's in the kettle, whirlpool or filter. If it's already in the fermenter, but not to where it will clog a tap, don't leave the beer in there for more than two weeks. Cold crashing will drop additional break proteins. How much depends on how cool the wort and the beer were previously..

In general

Skimming does a little, not a lot.

Using that much wheat or wheat malt increases the amount of protein extracted during the mash and later precipitated.

The cooler the wort before pouring it into the fermenter, the more break proteins will stay behind and not end up as trub in the fermenter.

What was your pitching temperature and what yeast are you using?

Using Nottingham, rehydrated and pitched just under 30c then dropped to 18c. What temp should I get it down to before transferring? The recipe I was following was the Hoppy Days Pac Ale, scaled up to suit my equipment profile on Brewfather, this is why there was that much wheat malt. I’m using an all rounder so no tap to worry about, pressure transferring to keg when done. I did hit all my targets but was just curious about the amount of trub. Thinking of getting a Lauter Helix to filter a lot out and maybe a hop spider too. At least until I can afford to upgrade my equipment.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy brewing.

Latest posts

Back