Hefe Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Doing a wheat for xmas with a wyeast 3068, its my first attempt at a wheat AG

It was Hughman 666 western wheat recipe from the DB

The brew day went well 78% efficiency 14 IBU with Hallertauer 6.3%b , into the ( son of fermenter chiller ) a bit warm after no chilling the day before , 22c but soon came down to 18c ( after 12 hours of work checked when I got home )

Had 25 litres in a 30 litre fermenter & it went through the top for 2 days

Its been 5 days now Im not going to rack just rack for bulk primming as I bottle

The question is how long should I keep it in primary I was thinking 10 days as long as the gravity readings are good then 2 weeks in the bottle & it should be good for chrisie

What do other people do for their wheat beers , what are youre experiences cheers all

My recent hefe just stayed in primary until it was ready to bottle (stable gravity readings etc). I rack to secondary and cold condition most of my brews but this was an exception. Number of weeks is irrelevant. Numbers on the hydrometer is what you are looking for.

So Mants how long did youres take in primary

From memory a couple of weeks. She dropped lower than expected - I think around 1008 and I left her there to make sure she'd finished for a couple of days.

I left mine in Primary for 11 day but then I think I bottled a little early because it carbed up in a few days.
Funny thing is now I don't think it has enough carbination for a Hefeweizen from what I have been reading lately.
But it does taste very good and packs a wallop.

I'm drinking a german wheat beer atm.

I don't rack. And left it on primary for a month.

Very bloody tasty! Bananas even :icon_drool2:

mebbe :icon_offtopic:

not off topic at all mate youres would have been well & truly been done

After 5 days there is still quite a krausen on top I wonder does it completely clear at final gravity ?

I normally give my ales 2 weeks in the fermenters but a wheat is supposed to come out quicker & enjoyed young , fresh wheat is best

Just wondering who have pushed theirs out quick

Brewing one at the moment myself. Was going to leave in primary for 15days then rack to keg and carb up over a week.

Im racking the Weizen after the third day in fermenter, keep it no longer there. Drinkable after one week only.

Weizenbier should be drunk fresh! :icon_chickcheers:

from grain to brain one week

Zwickel, are you racking into secondary after 3 days or into the keg to condition? I only ask because my attempts so far at any type of wheat beer have been abysmal, and turned out way to phenolic, or with little to no flavour....

Cheers

Zwickel, are you racking into secondary after 3 days or into the keg to condition? I only ask because my attempts so far at any type of wheat beer have been abysmal, and turned out way to phenolic, or with little to no flavour....

Cheers
I feel sorry for you, guess your issues are lying in the yeast management, not in the time you leave the wort in the fermenter.
Im racking into kegs. Depending on the temp it was fermenting, its just natural carbonating or sometimes I have to add a little bit CO2.
My schedule:
3 days fermenting, then racking
keep it for another 2 days at ambient temp, then put it in the cold

from 7. day on ready on tap :icon_chickcheers:

Awesome, thanks for that, will give it a shot. From reading your replies to previous threads I would imagine that you're pitching a significantly large starter into your wheats like you do your lagers? If so, what sort of volumes are we talking about, both in your wort volumes and your starter volumes? Also, what yeast do you prefer for wheats? I know a lot of the guys over in Aus like 3068, but I've had nothing but a bad run (see my previous posts) with this yeast.....

Cheers mate!

:)

EDIT: Also, what mash schedule do you prefer for weizens, and what fermentation temps are you using.... Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm bloody frustrated with my wheat beer results in the past, and would love to replicate something very tasty :)

Awesome, thanks for that, will give it a shot. From reading your replies to previous threads I would imagine that you're pitching a significantly large starter into your wheats like you do your lagers? If so, what sort of volumes are we talking about, both in your wort volumes and your starter volumes? Also, what yeast do you prefer for wheats? I know a lot of the guys over in Aus like 3068, but I've had nothing but a bad run (see my previous posts) with this yeast.....

Cheers mate!

:)

EDIT: Also, what mash schedule do you prefer for weizens, and what fermentation temps are you using.... Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm bloody frustrated with my wheat beer results in the past, and would love to replicate something very tasty :)

Nick, Im sitting on work atm, will come back to you tonight when Im at home, will show you some pics.
see ya later mate :icon_cheers:

Cheers mate, look forward to it.... Forget about the time zones :) Just move to Aus already :p

Cheers

Cheers mate, look forward to it.... Forget about the time zones :) Just move to Aus already :p
soon....mate soon...Ill be there again, cant wait for it.....

.....but the Australian Government doesnt like me to stay for good, so I have to feed the airlines with my money, buing tickets every year.

okay, back to Hefeweizen:
I think, the mash schedule is not as important with Hefeweizens as it is with Pilseners.
If you do a single infusion mash as you used to do, that will be fine. Much more important ist the treatment of the yeast.
Of course, one can adjust a little bit the flavour by doing a ferulic acid rest or play with beta and alpha amylase and so on, but that is only a minor adjustment, that has no relevant influence.

So lets talk about Hefe (yeast):

First rule: cool down the wort as fast as you can, so no nasties can take place in it.
cool to ~20C, aerate the cooled wort prior pitching, so the yeasties will find a cosy surrounding full of fine food, they immediately will start to multiply themselfes. Take in account, that a vigorous fermentation can rise the temp of the wort for 4to 6 degree!!!!
That means the effective fermenting temp can be around 25C !!!

That way, the yeast will have done its main work within 48 hours already, give it another 24 hours to settle and start racking.
There will be still a little bit fermentable sugar in the wort, so the following two days at ambient temp will produce enough CO2 for natural carbonation.

Put it in the cold and serve it :icon_cheers:

here an example of a brew:

2766.JPG

that is an usual starter for a 60l batch size Hefeweizen (big bottle):

1908.JPG

and these are starters for my Pilsener:

3504.JPG

2744.JPG

....and that is Zwickels Hefeweizen:

2777.JPG

Id like to emphasize, the amount of yeast cells, plays a main role in that game.
I usually use around five times the amount of yeast cells for Pilseners than for Weizen.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

sorry, I had forgotten

...snip.... Also, what yeast do you prefer for wheats? I know a lot of the guys over in Aus like 3068, but I've had nothing but a bad run (see my previous posts) with this yeast.....

I dunno anything about the 3068, sorry. Since Ive got some yeast directly from a brewery nearby many years ago, I built up my own yeast bank.

Since around 5 years Im treasuring and renewing every year some yeast strains, maybe for the rest of my life.

The only recommendation I could give you is: try to get some Schneider Hefeweizen, try to reculture the yeast that is in it, or do the same with Maisels Weizen. Theire yeast in the bottles is excellent for reculturing and they provide a wonderful arome. If youll succeed once, keep that yeast on Agar for the future.

Youll never run out of yeast again.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

sorry, I had forgotten

I dunno anything about the 3068, sorry. Since Ive got some yeast directly from a brewery nearby many years ago, I built up my own yeast bank.

Since around 5 years Im treasuring and renewing every year some yeast strains, maybe for the rest of my life.

The only recommendation I could give you is: try to get some Schneider Hefeweizen, try to reculture the yeast that is in it, or do the same with Maisels Weizen. Theire yeast in the bottles is excellent for reculturing and they provide a wonderful arome. If youll succeed once, keep that yeast on Agar for the future.

Youll never run out of yeast again.

Cheers :icon_cheers:
I think schneider use wyeast3638. Are you suggesting we ferment them at 25C. Mine is racing away but I have it set to 19C.

I think schneider use wyeast3638.
could be, I dunno

Are you suggesting we ferment them at 25C. Mine is racing away but I have it set to 19C.

as I said, the temp will rise during fermentation, how much is depending on the amount of yeast that is used.

Basically I would pitch at around 20C. The problem is, the higher the fermentation temp is, the more ester and other arome components youll get in your beer. Some of them are wanted, some of them not. Thats a matter of balance.
There are some yeast strains they better start at 22C, others would be better at around 19C.

Im not a gambler, personally I love to know what comes out when I start brewing, thats why you may call me a nerd, but I love to know everything about my yeasties, love to know how they behave at a certain temp and what comes out when Im drifting away.

In shorter words: If youre using yeast from the international companies, just follow theire recommendations.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

....and that is Zwickels Hefeweizen:

2777.JPG

I'm in love zwickel :wub: Interesting to note the Schneider yeast in the bottle is their true weizen yeast. I think i might have a go at culturing this one up soon. I need some Weizen quaffers for the summer months. Do you find any ester/phenol issues with reculturing the weizen yeasts?

Ive heard reports of these traits lacking in the final product after building up from a slant. I dont know why this would be the case however.

I think schneider use wyeast3638. Are you suggesting we ferment them at 25C. Mine is racing away but I have it set to 19C.

Its actually the weihenstephan yeast AFAIK.

Latest posts

Back