Hefe Smells Like Sulphur

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Its got a bit of fermenting to go, but Ive got a hefe that Im fermenting with Wyeast Wistephanean (too hard to spell) and its dropped to 1020 it smells all sulphury.
Will this go away?
Tastes ok.

Its got a bit of fermenting to go, but Ive got a hefe that Im fermenting with Wyeast Wistephanean (too hard to spell) and its dropped to 1020 it smells all sulphury.
Will this go away?
Tastes ok.

Yep, not that I'm an expert but I posted a similar question a few months back and was told it will go away and your brew will taste exceptional after bottle maturing.

Will this go away?
Tastes ok.

I agree with Warrior Poet. I made a weizen with 3068 about 2 months ago and it smelt like sulphur as it was finishing. After only 2 weeks in the bottle the smell had gone and the taste was great.

Thanks, guys... she has dropped to 1015 and still burping occasionally.
I will continue to wait a little longer, as this one is a SWMBO's favorite style.
I have to nail this one.
:)

Thanks, guys... she has dropped to 1015 and still burping occasionally.
I will continue to wait a little longer, as this one is a SWMBO's favorite style.
I have to nail this one.
:)

G'day pendulous meat

Always good politics to keep swmbo happy!~

Have a kit + extras (500g weyermann pilsener grain and hallertau hops) wheat based combo in the fermenter at present but is looking rather darker than expected although tasting fine at SG test points.

Just wondering about your recipe. Any suggestions for something simple?

Im reluctant to offer any advice on this one till Ive tasted it from the bottle, but it was pretty simple, and rather amusing.
Amusing because the recipe came from a commercial brewer who knows his shit.
3km liq Coopers Wheat Malt
200g wheat bix
500g white sugar
15g Hal 60 min
15g Hal 10 min
Weihenstephan yeast
OG 1050, EstFG 1012
5%abv

ETA for this beer is still one month away.

Nice one! Sounds like your mate enjoys a beer over brekky! The commercial guys seem to favour white sugar.

Was that 3 km wheat malt?! Is the Cooper wheat malt unhopped byw? I think from memory it was a morgans I bought on sepcial that came hopped. No idea what with...

Keep us posted on how it tastes.

Nice one! Sounds like your mate enjoys a beer over brekky! The commercial guys seem to favour white sugar.
Was that 3 km wheat malt?! Is the Cooper wheat malt unhopped byw? I think from memory it was a morgans I bought on sepcial that came hopped. No idea what with...
Keep us posted on how it tastes.
I favor the white sugar... good for head retention, raising alcohol without colour, all that sorta stuff.
If its good enuf for the belgians, then its good enuf for me.
Maybe one day when I am nuts for AG stuff, I will shun adjunkts, but for now, I find them very useful.
765.jpg

yep.. definately three kilometres of this stuff (smart arse ;))
You dont want much hops in a Hef from what I understand.

When you go AG (and keg) you can drink a heffe in 7 days. None of this month stuff.

Guy in my local hbs reckons kegging almost led to his divorce. I share his concerns.. Drinking in a week. hmm dangerous.

And the wheat bix idea kinda strikes a chord. It is (crushed) whole grain wheat after all.

When you go AG (and keg) you can drink a heffe in 7 days. None of this month stuff.

I was drinking my first AG hefe in 6 days from bottles even . Liked it so much I mashed another on the weekend :) . Will smack the 3068 tonight and reckon I will be drinking it in 3 weeks.

I've come across commercial Hefeweizens having a sulfury yeast element to it.
One time I was at the Red Oak beer caf, and their hefe on tap was very young (according to Dave, the brewer) and hadn't had time to for the sulfur to mature out...which he also mentioned would happen over time.

Back