Heating Element Toasted My Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenhaus

Reaction score
I've been using an over-the-side element with a temperature controller for my HLT, and it's been good for 25 brews or so.

Last brew, I came out and saw that the temperature controller wasn't working. I tried to unplug the control panel from the extension cord and realised that the connection had partially melted together.

I ripped the temperature controller out of the panel, and the back of it is fried. A few bits of plastic inside the control panel are melted too.

If I plug the heating element straight into the wall, it runs for about 10-15 minutes and then trips the RCD, so its obviously drawing too much juice.

Anyone know the mechanism by which a heating element suddenly decides to start pulling too much current?

Lucky it didn't start a bloody fire. Think I'll be adding a circuit breaker to the control panel.

photo (19).JPG

Anyone know the mechanism by which a heating element suddenly decides to start pulling too much current?

It's called a short, the element is stuffed.

What brand was it? Is it still under warranty?

QldKev said:
What brand was it? Is it still under warranty?
I got it from Grain & Grape years ago, I think the brand might've been Grimwood. Documentation is long gone, so I'll just turf it. I've ordered a stick element from CB already and just installed a new STC-1000.

I sure wish I made the control panel a little more accessible.

if its tripping the RCD it could also be an earth fault. elements often do this as they can absorb moisture into their mineral insulation.

if its tripping the RCD it could also be an earth fault. elements often do this as they can absorb moisture into their mineral insulation.

Back