Heated Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercus

Reaction score
Got my hands on this heated stirplate. Anyone use a heated stir plate? This has a scale that starts at 50oC but the is a long gap between off and 50oC.

Is it worth trying to get it to sit at 20oC or so or just go with ambient room temp for a yeast starter?

Thanks

Beercus

Stir plate.jpeg

I have mine at ambient simply because I have no choice.. if I had one I could sit at 25'c I would be using it..

In fact it's been suggested for a Digital Stirplate for the next build and I hope he can sort it out, especially during winter.

Some people put the stirplate in the Temp controlled fridge and while Ive considered doing this, it would mean I cant see it B) so on the Kitchen Table it stays

Id be doing some experimenting with that for sure.. where'd you pick it up?

Ed: Maybe you could put it on a timer? 10 mins on 10 mins off? something like that to get to a desired temp

I suppose it depends on what ambient temps are. In Soviet Orange, ambient in the house was around 12 overnight so heating was essential.

Considering the range on your dial starts at 50°C and goes up to 300, I don't think it'll work at 25°C-odd. these plates are normally thermostatically controlled so they'll be on, then off, then on, then off trying to hit the target temp. Considering it goes all the way up to 300°C I think the 'on' cycles will apply too much heat and you'll overshoot.

Give it a whirl with water but be wary of the above.

Its a spare plate from one of the labs at work which will be stored at my house until it is needed!

I will hook it up with some water and do some tests.

Cheers

MC

good for sterilising but not for maintaining low temps

You'd probably be able to hack it with a stc to control the temp...

I have used those extensively. The temp control is not reliable and I would not advise using it without close supervision, lest you want yeast stew.

Put the stir plate on today, with a gauze mat under it. With the heat set on 50oC and the stirrer going at half speed, i was able to keep the temp at between 25oC and 32oC.

That was in a room at around 22oC.

Hopefully it will do the job. I will use a bigger flask so hopefully i will be able to leave the thermometer in there to keep checking.

photo.JPG

Latest posts

Back