Heady Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STOUTMAN

Reaction score
hi people

i have problems with my kegs for some reason it almost impossible to pour a beer i have the pour pressure down to 10kpa and stll having trubble i do the shake rattle and roll method and then let it settle for 20 minutes then set pour pressure and theres all ways <gas air bubbles> in the out line and it pour half a schooner foam before it pour beer wot am i doing wrong my beers are only kit and kilo no hops nutthing please help me

STOUTMAN said:
hi people

i have problems with my kegs for some reason it almost impossible to pour a beer <snip> and it pour half a schooner foam before it pour beer
[post="106549"][/post]​

Stoutman

A couple of easy ones to start

1. Are you using a beer tap or pluto gun?
2. Are you pouring with the tap full on?
3. What is the temperature and pressure of the kegs when you leave them alone for a few hours (have a look at the attached document to see what pressure you should have in your kegs)?
4. Is another beer poured straigh after the first one OK?

Cheers
Pedro

View attachment Keg_Carbonation.doc

yes im using a gun
yes the tap is fully on
3. What is the temperature and pressure of the kegs when you leave them alone for a few hours
i chill the beer in the secondary fermenter before i keg
at about 4 degrees or so
no its always heady

Gulf Brewery said:
STOUTMAN said:
hi people

i have problems with my kegs for some reason it almost impossible to pour a beer <snip> and it pour half a schooner foam before it pour beer
[post="106549"][/post]​

Stoutman

A couple of easy ones to start

3. What is the temperature and pressure of the kegs when you leave them alone for a few hours (have a look at the attached document to see what pressure you should have in your kegs)?

Cheers
Pedro
[post="106550"][/post]​

Stoutman

Have you looked at the pressure in the keg after it has been left alone for a while and worked out what carbonation level you have? You may have just over-carbonated it. The other thing that may be a hassle is your line length on the pluto gun.

Cheers
Pedro

what presure did u do the shake rattle roll at
what is the beer line length and diameter of beer line.
what is the pouring pressure...

If u provide these details we can help you more..
Also, where are u located as your location is not filled out...

Open the relief value , leave the keg at least overnight , may need longer.

Close and pour at your pouring pressure , next time don't shake the keg , I know that's not what your've heard , just try it once.

Batz

yes i agree with bats
i have just done my first keg system and i dont have that trouble thanks GMK

here is what i did I have a tap not a gun running 3 mtrs of 4 mm line
gas line is 4 mtrs of 6mm diam from a micromatic gauge running pouring pressure at 150 bar and that works great for me .
my kegs are in the fridge sitting at 3 degrees c i tend to burp my kegs before use and pour away ??

if your keg is over carbonated you will find the beer will pour without gas on as well can you do that ?

delboy

250 kpa

diameter 4mm and beer line 1.8 meters

the pour pressure is 10 kpa ATM

sydney nsw

GMK said:

If u provide these details we can help you more..
Also, where are u located as your location is not filled out...
[post="106559"][/post]​

if your keg is over carbonated you will find the beer will pour without gas on as well can you do that ?

no it wont pour with out gas on it

delboy said:
yes i agree with bats
i have just done my first keg system and i dont have that trouble thanks GMK

here is what i did I have a tap not a gun running 3 mtrs of 4 mm line
gas line is 4 mtrs of 6mm diam from a micromatic gauge running pouring pressure at 150 bar and that works great for me .
my kegs are in the fridge sitting at 3 degrees c i tend to burp my kegs before use and pour away ??

delboy
[post="106568"][/post]​

Degassing the keg over a day or two will usually rectify over-carbonation. Agitate the keg and release the CO2 several times a day until the beer has reached the desired level of carbonation. If the beer is pouring badly but appears to have little or no carbonation, check to ensure that there are no kinks or holes in the beer and gas lines. Contrary to logic, heady beer can be a result of low gas pressure and increasing the pressure via the regulator will often fix the problem.

Copied from here

yeah ive tryed that when i put the gas pressure up it s like a gerny

Perhaps you have a dodgy regulator :blink:

I'm just clutching at straws here.

When I first started kegging, I got my advice from my Dad, He's an old barman.

When I told him the suggested pouring pressure was 100 kpa or 14 psi, he near fell out of his chair. His opinion was 8 psi or 60 kpa was more than enough. He also said the beer should pour at around 5-6 seconds to fill a schooner. I adjusted the pouring pressure to fill at the timed rate and have not had a problem since.

I naturally carb my kegs so have to adjust the gas pressure slightly from one keg to the next, but so long as I have the pouring rate roughly the same, I always pull a good beer.

Good luck.

I had the same problem with my keg. It was just overcarbed this was following instructions that came with keg system.
I just degassesd the keg over a couple of days and set to 100kpa pouring pressure and all was fine.
I now just carb at pouring pressure(takes longer) if i dont naturally carb and all is fine>

Hope this helps

Cheers
:beer:
Richard

edit= spelling

Stoutman,

I've got a new keg system with a pluto gun too & had a similar prob.

When you're pouring are you squeezing the trigger on the gun fully "on" as quickly as you can?

The first few I poured when I first got it were all foam because I wasn't quick enough at squeezing the trigger. f you've got it partially on instead of fully on you'll get more foam in your glass than beer.

Jez

Latest posts

Back