Head at the end of the keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I get just the opposite.
The last few pours look flat and lifeless with little head retention.
I put it down to even though its really clear maybe some of my keg finings are coming through as my dip tubes are really close to the bottom.

pcmfisher said:
I put it down to even though its really clear maybe some of my keg finings are coming through as my dip tubes are really close to the bottom.
I had that happen to me for a while, I narrowed it down to a veery slow leak in one of the gas lines.. So often when it came to the last 8-10 beers I was getting somewhat flat beers..

But on the original post.. is there a chance that the beer could be pumped out at a higher velocity, due to the reduced volume of beer in the keg, therefore causing more disturbance and leading to more head on the beer?.. I'm not really in on the physics of it all

JAM said:
But on the original post.. is there a chance that the beer could be pumped out at a higher velocity, due to the reduced volume of beer in the keg, therefore causing more disturbance and leading to more head on the beer?.. I'm not really in on the physics of it all
Good thought, but I doubt the speed of the beer through the lines will change much. The regulator should maintain constant pressure in the system so there's the same force acting on the beer the whole time which is going through the same length of same diameter tubing. Therefor the speed at which the beer travels shouldn't change.

Also, if that were the case the head formation might be better but the retention would be largely unchanged.

Yob said:
Why is it better right at the end? The extra age? The extra pressure on a small volume?

I dont have head issues, always happy with retention and general foam quality, I just notice that as a keg is ending, its always fantastic.. and an indicator that the ******* is about to blow ... just wondering if there is a science behind why and if anyone has noticed this too.. never seen it posted so.. ideas?

also.. not happy that my Pliny is starting to display these characteristics...

waaaaa
My pliny ran out last week :(

pcmfisher said:
Same here.The last couple of pours are a bit lifeless.Though I don't have all of my kegs connected to gas all the time, so the last bit is probably losing carbonation. Just give them a squirt of gas as needed. I really need to lash out a get a manifold.

Latest posts

Back