Haze & No Haze In The Same Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy01

Reaction score
Hope soemone can help with this one.

Brewed an AG Pils 8 weeks ago with my mate Tez. Bottled after 4 weeks so has had 4 weeks in the bottle.

After a week the beer was carbed and tasting great. Pretty clear in the glass which is unusual for our beers. Took some to January BABBS meeting and they went down well with the guys at the table. Had used gelatine and Polyclar as finings.

Anyway after 2-3 weeks in the bottle the beer was very cloudy and poured with very little head. In fact the beer was very flat and undrinkable. Tez's stock was showing the exact same symptoms.

I initally thought that the haze may be a chill haze that developed very quickly into permanent haze. Though I am not sure if permanent haze affects head formation.

Anyway bugger me dead I opened 2 bottles today. Both poured clear and if anything have excessive head retention.
These bottles have been stored right next to the ones that turned cloudy. Bottles are brown stubbies and are covered to keep out any light.

Gee I'm confused. If it was the whole batch I would say that we stuffed up the mash and ended up with excessive protein or unconverted starch.

Any suggestions?

Jimmy

Bulk prime or teaspoon of sugar in each bottle?

Could it have been shaken up hence yeast in suspension?

Sounds a little unusual indeed, but as long as it tastes good! :icon_cheers:

When you say the beer was undrinkable - how? If it's an odd flavour that accompanied the haze and with it being flat I'd suggest an infection of some kind.

Viva la infectione

that or inconsistent bottle fermentation.

i'd doubt it being an issue with the brewing process itself as the fermentation cycle would cause every bottle to be cloudy. (due to even dstribution of starches throughout the beer.

I'd say grab 1/2 doz or so and put them in the fridge standing upright for a few days. then hold them up to the light witout disturbing too much. if they are all clear its yeast suspension, if the are cloudy, i'd say chill haze or unconverted starches.

how did your attenuation go?

that or inconsistent bottle fermentation.

i'd doubt it being an issue with the brewing process itself as the fermentation cycle would cause every bottle to be cloudy. (due to even dstribution of starches throughout the beer.

I'd say grab 1/2 doz or so and put them in the fridge standing upright for a few days. then hold them up to the light witout disturbing too much. if they are all clear its yeast suspension, if the are cloudy, i'd say chill haze or unconverted starches.

how did your attenuation go?
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Raven
Bulk primed. I dont think that it is stirred up yeast

WitWonder
possibly infection. I like to think my sanitation is pretty good - but could be. Though I would expect gushers rather than flat beer if it was infected. Smelll OK and taste isnt bad except that some are totally flat.

Thanks for the feedback.

The possibility of inconsistent bottle fermentation did occur to me initally. I am not sure if this would explain the cloudiness though. I tend to think that it is chill haze or unconverted starches but I cant expain why some are clear. As you say it should be in every bottle. When I have had cloudy batches before - they have all been cloudy. I have tried putting them in the fridge as you suggest. Same thing - some cloudy some clear.

Attentuation good. 80% using S-189.

Could it be oxidation? Would this occur in such a short time?

Jimmy

Latest posts

Back