Having Difficultly Lifting Your 60 Litre Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a cracker of a unit. $262 though :mellow: I dont think i could get that passed the Leader of the Opposition and Finance.

$262 - a bargain....compared to 3 chiropractor appointments.

Thats a cracker of a unit. $262 though :mellow: I dont think i could get that passed the Leader of the Opposition and Finance.

Heh - If she's the opposition leader then...

Great find Pumpy,

$262 - a bargain....compared to 3 chiropractor appointments.

I've had two visits since we got our 60l fermenters. I've stopped trying to pretend that I can lift a full one now - no need to pop the grapes out again...

We've been considering a block and tackle type of arrangement - but that means being very confident of the fixtures we use to bolt into the concrete ceiling in our brewspace. A scissor lift is a good alternative.

Try this scissor lift lifter trolley from Hare and Forbes $262 saves a bad back

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=J048

Whilst I can just lift my 60 litre fermenter when it has 40 litres a batch in I can still feel muscles popping

Pumpy
I know the feeling .I wait till there is two of us to lift. Found the same trolly , which I will get ! $229 inclusive @Hare&Forbes Perth www.machineryhouse.com.au .A small price to pay for a little less back pain.
GB

yep i always just wait till theres another person in the house, or if im moving it just slide it on the floor.. even my missus helps me lift bless her. lucky i dont have to lift high at all to get it into my fermenting fridge. will prob get one of those trolleys when i buy a new house tho.

get an engine 'block and tackle' lift from supercheapo auto for less than $200. thats should do the job.

but yeah. save your back. as a person with a really bad back, its just nnot worth it if you cant dfo it safely yourself.

With one of these trolleys youre still gonna have to slide it off the trolley and onto the shelf, it wouldnt really work too well for say, putting a fermenter in a chest freezer.. I think as cm2 said id be more tempted by the 'block and tackle' lift for more manoeuvrability?

I purchased a platform trolley for moving fermenters about. Specs were 100 kg load. The handle folds flat to make storage a bit easier. Cost about $60.

Also have a cheap $25 hand trolley, great for shifting crates of bottles about plus anything else that is heavy.

Any time I am lifting any fermenter that weighs more than 30 kg, I wait till the other half is around to give a hand.

I purchased a platform trolley for moving fermenters about. Specs were 100 kg load. The handle folds flat to make storage a bit easier. Cost about $60.

Also have a cheap $25 hand trolley, great for shifting crates of bottles about plus anything else that is heavy.

Any time I am lifting any fermenter that weighs more than 30 kg, I wait till the other half is around to give a hand.

Pint,

Is it height adjustable and where did you purchase it? Im after a cheap alternative to the ones at www.machineryhouse.com.au

Cheers

With one of these trolleys youre still gonna have to slide it off the trolley and onto the shelf,

it wouldnt really work too well for say, putting a fermenter in a chest freezer.. I think as cm2 said id be more tempted by the 'block and tackle' lift for more manoeuvrability?

Agreed reviled but sliding it off the trolley is not an issue ....its lifting it up

Again with putting it into a Chest freezer the issue is .......lifting it up

Would you get a 60 litre fermenter in a chest freezer ?

Pumpy :)

Agreed reviled but sliding it off the trolley is not an issue ....its lifting it up

Again with putting it into a Chest freezer the issue is .......lifting it up

Would you get a 60 litre fermenter in a chest freezer ?

Pumpy :)

lol, no I definately couldnt lift a 60 litre fermenter into a chest freezer alone, but the engine hoist could lift it, and then help lower it in. Ive allways thought a chest freezer was the best thing for a 60litre, untill I thought about having to lift it in(and lower slowly).. Reckon you could almost get two 60 litres side by side in my one which would be awesome B)

Back when my ferment fridge was a chest freezer I had some difficulty hauling my fermenter out of it. I currently use an upright fridge, so it's a little easier now :)

Back when my ferment fridge was a chest freezer I had some difficulty hauling my fermenter out of it. I currently use an upright fridge, so it's a little easier now :)

I ferment my 21 litre batches in my chest freezer, I consider the lifting every a part (read - the only part) of my weekly work out :lol:

Pokie installers use those trolleys to move machines around, they are great....

I did a clean up this morning, shifted all my gear down to the garage...

4 flights with a full cube in each hand is quite an interesting walk.

Cheers for posting this pumpy, I'm seriously considering one of these now that I do 50lt brews.

Is it height adjustable and where did you purchase it? Im after a cheap alternative to the ones at www.machineryhouse.com.au

No, it isn't height adjustable, just a platform trolley. It does make it easier to wheel fermenters around without tilting them. Purchased from Mitre 10 about six months ago, was in one of their catalogues. Not sure if Mitre 10 made it a permanent line. Have seen something similar at a local tool/import/hardware shop.

It's not so much lifting my 60 litre fermenter into the brewing fridge which I have sitting around keg height for racking straight from primary.

What scares me whilst lifting is not my back but the fear of banging the tap off the fermenter from the heave I give to get it up to waist height. :eek:

They look a great solution those trollies but still way too many $$$ for me.

Warren -

Cheers for posting this pumpy, I'm seriously considering one of these now that I do 50lt brews.

Me too Devo ,40 litres dont get any easier for me.

cost me a fortune when I put my back out .

Warren will get one too he just dont like to let on he is a Bavarian Count with a large Inheritence

Pumpy ;)

Latest posts

Back