Have I mentioned I'm opening a brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Reaction score
Well, I am!

Been working on it for the better part of this year, but everything is coming together now so I am more comfortable announcing it.

Stage 1 is gypsy brewing. Our liquor license is getting close and we are planning to launch in November with 3 beers. 2 core beers and a seasonal. We are letting people vote on what the seasonal will be! We will have a launch party in a craft beer pub somewhere in Sydney.

Stage 2 is our own brewery. Signed the lease last week on a space in Marrickville (Sydney inner-west). Looking at mid-2017 before that is all setup and ready to go. It's a great space and there is room for a big beer garden!

So I am just a little bit excited.

I'm not gonna spam the forum with updates, so if you'd like to follow our progress and see where we are going to be at, check out our farcebook page:
https://facebook.com/saucebrewing
It is public so you don't have to be a farcebook member to view it.

Cheers!

Marrickville really is turning into the brewery mecca of sydney. Good luck dude. It's a huge space, commitment right there! I'll keep my eye out for progress whenever i walk/stumble past there.

Good stuff! I liked your FB page yesterday.

Can I ask where you're Gypsy brewing and what sort of batch sizes you'll be doing?

And maybe ask for some advice about the steps involved? Me & some mates want to a gypsy/contract batch of about 200-500L. We'd assumed we need to get that Producer's Licence and then brew at a commercial brewery premises on their equipment. We've been holding off on applying for that licence (which will cost $700) until we're sure we'll have a brewery that'll let us make beer or contract brew it for us.

kaiserben said:
Good stuff! I liked your FB page yesterday.

Can I ask where you're Gypsy brewing and what sort of batch sizes you'll be doing?

And maybe ask for some advice about the steps involved? Me & some mates want to a gypsy/contract batch of about 200-500L. We'd assumed we need to get that Producer's Licence and then brew at a commercial brewery premises on their equipment. We've been holding off on applying for that licence (which will cost $700) until we're sure we'll have a brewery that'll let us make beer or contract brew it for us.
Hey Ben

We're brewing at the Australian Brewery, in 4000L batches.

I'm not aware of anyone who could do batches that small for you. There are a few brewpubs and the like that have 200L systems but the reality is, because their system is so small, I suspect they wouldn't have spare capacity.
St Peters Brewery have an 800L system and do contract brews so you might be able to get something done in the 500-800L range.

200L wouldn't go far - 4 kegs and $1000 of revenue. You and your mates would probably drink most of it so you may as well just brew at home and avoid all the tax and licensing costs!

Producer/wholesaler license requires a bit of legwork in terms of the application and complying with everything, so while not TOO daunting be very well prepared, tick all the boxes, and be prepared to WAIT - ILGA have a huge backlog at present so you are looking at up to 6 months.

Happy to talk further over PM or a beer.

So I mentioned above that we are going to let the people decide on our first seasonal!

Here's the link to the survey. Should run for a couple more days.

Vote early, vote often!

mikec said:
Vote early, vote often!
you know surveymonkey uses cookies to remember someones voted, to kind of stop that ;)

You can use icognito mode though

For those wondering what the choices are

• New World Pilsner
  • Weiss / Wit
  • Saison
  • Belgian IPA
  • Rye IPA
  • Chilli Stout

Considering you planning to have a PA and a IIPA in your 'core', I'll say Pilsner if your seasonal is going to be upcoming summer time.

You are correct, it does, and yes as you've pointed out here are ways around it!

I'm secretly rooting for the Belgian IPA. The one I have in mind is quite light and summery.

By the time I pulled my finger out to do it, it seems the poll has closed??

For the record: Rye IPA.

kaiserben said:
By the time I pulled my finger out to do it, it seems the poll has closed??

For the record: Rye IPA.
Yeah mate, all done.
We have a winner, hops and yeast are now in, should be brewing it Wednesday.
We brewed our first batch last Wednesday, started with the IIPA. Man, what a beer it's going to be.

Back