Has anyone played with WLP775 British Cider Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boonchu

Reaction score
I have been using WLP775 for a while in my ciders and found it to be a very clean fermenting yeast which also doesnt dry out to much.
Has anyone else used this yeast, and what were your results / thoughts?

I used it once or twice back in the day but found it too expensive and while it was OK, it wasn't spectacular. I don't have a good white labs supplier so switched to wyeast for liquid yeasts. The 4766 is a pretty good yeast for cider.

These days though I use wine yeasts for my ciders and they are all dry yeasts. much easier to use and way cheaper. 71B and CRU005 are the two I use now. IIf an experiment this year goes the way IO hope it will, I'll standardise on 71B for both ciders and meads which makes things much simpler.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Airgead.
The way we found to make it cheaper , was after we made the starter, we would refill 2 of the white labs tubes giving us good yeast for the following batches.
Also found that we could repitch straight onto the yeast cake, so can get 8 -10 batches to a tube.

I use D -47 and 71B for my meads.

I am lucky enough to live between The Brew Shop at peakhurst and their new store in Campbelltown.

Cheers

Steve

I used to culture it out onto slants. Ended up just too much hassle. As I only make cider once a year the slants would dry out before the next batch.

The dry yeast is much easier. I'm about to crack the two kegs I made this year. one with CRU005 the other with 71B. The winner will become my stock cider yeast.

Cheers
Dave

I did a double batch of Aldi Juice Cider last year, one fermenter with US-05 and the other with WLP-775.

Compared to the US-05, the 775 is much more complex, and becomes even more so with time in the bottle. Initially there wasn't much between them, but after a year the 775 is by far the better cider. The sweetness seems to have increased a little with time in the bottle, if that is possible whereas the US-05 stuff is still dead dry.

Latest posts

Back