Harvesting Yeast With Cold Break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alizzan

Reaction score
I've tried searching the forums for something about this, however most of the topics seemed to degenerate into a "I put cold break in/I don't put cold break in". I made a Partial Duvel copy using Wyeast 1388, and being my first partial, I didn't whirlpool and wait for the cold break to settle. As such, I tipped all the wort (complete with cold break) into the fermenter. This included Irish Moss, so it has all settled nicely to the bottom, however I would like to try and harvest the yeast for reuse later on. Am I able to just take the slurry which includes the settled cold break, and harvest the yeast from that? Will I need to wash the yeast, or filter it somehow? Again, apologies if this topic has already been covered.

Thanks, Manticle. I was more curious as to whether it's necessary. Seeing as though you posted the links straight up, I will assume it is.

Thanks, Manticle. I was more curious as to whether it's necessary. Seeing as though you posted the links straight up, I will assume it is.

You will just get better quality/purer yeast. Hop debris, other proteins etc that drop out during ferment that are best not in the next beer.

AF - Thanks for that. I've skimmed through it before, but I'll go through it again.

Manticle - Noted. Now to try and find some mason jars, or other such articles.

I haven't seen anywhere where it discusses polyclar, gelatine etc in the washing process.

Anyone know if these affect the quality of the washed yeast? Do they actually *bind* themselves to the yeast?

Latest posts

Back