Harvested yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slats69

Reaction score
I've been harvesting my yeast the last few months . 8 haven't had any problems yet but the second generation yeast I was going to use looks like it has dark spots in it . Does that mean it's gone off or just a bit of the old brew left in it ?

Sterilize jars , wash with boiled filtered water. It smells ok , but I haven't tested the yeast .

how long has it been left in the fridge? Yeast tuns darker as it dies off.

Pics would help..

It's been in the fridge for about 6 months . This is how it looks in the fermenter. I've never had 1 look like this before , but it smells quite good, a sorry of set smell

Sorry , didn't load pic

1401782203965.jpg

Has it been in the fermenter for 6 months?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

You can't tell the state of the yeast from the top mate, if the beer tastes good... Drink it but personally I'd be dumping the yeast... Or at least giving it a faaarking good rinse and assess

It is fermenting & has a small krausin. No , the yeast has.been in the fridge that long @ about 3 deg. The brew is only 3 days old in 23 ltrs

I did give it a good rinse . The reason I have been persevering with it is it's an American hefeweizen WLP320 liquid yeast that I spent 18 bucks on. But I might just dump it if this brew is no good. But as I said , it does smell good!

Well , it's been rinsed and it's a 2nd generation yeast now . All I' m asking is has anybody seen a brew that looks like the pic I posted as I haven't .

slats69 said:
I did give it a good rinse . The reason I have been persevering with it is it's an American hefeweizen WLP320 liquid yeast that I spent 18 bucks on. But I might just dump it if this brew is no good. But as I said , it does smell good!
Slats if it smells good bottle it!! If it smells ok give it a taste.... If you reckon it's ok then bottle when ready I reckon. If it tastes good it'll be fine.... If it tastes shit then it's shit

I just re-used some MJ British Ale yeast I'd had in the fridge. Does the yeast grow over the generations - so you end up with more yeast than you started with? There was so much yeast cake this time that it initially overflowed the jar I was pouring it into. It's settled down now so it's only taking up about 4/5s of the jar.

I was quite happy with the fermented beer - the second generation yeast did a good job.

Spawn or bud, so you end up with more yeast than you started with. I'm hoping it does so in a while I can split them into two batches, and then split those two batches.... etc...

Yeast, when pitched to wort will go through a growth phase, how long depends on a few things..

Why dont you do some starters?

I must have over 50 vials of 'frozen' yeast now so Im looking good for yeast for a few years at least :)

Latest posts

Back