Harris Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Hey folks just got myself a gas bottle today.... woo hoo!!!

The guy in the shop said I need to be careful about making sure the seal to the regulator is good or I can lose all my gas. I came home and pulled the Harris regulator out of it's box, and discovered there is no seal at the union location where it winds onto the gas bottle.

I would've thought the reg came with one. So please tell me, is that where I need one? Where do I get one from?
Cheers

Hey folks just got myself a gas bottle today.... woo hoo!!!

The guy in the shop said I need to be careful about making sure the seal to the regulator is good or I can lose all my gas. I came home and pulled the Harris regulator out of it's box, and discovered there is no seal at the union location where it winds onto the gas bottle.

I would've thought the reg came with one. So please tell me, is that where I need one? Where do I get one from?
Cheers

check the carton it should be attached to the top.

I got one from Absolute Homebrew,(Washer - nylon, gas washer for regulator & cylinder - $1.00) still havnt installed it, also have to make sure the Reg is attached to the Bottle nice and tight, and also use Thread Tape aswell..

:icon_cheers: CB

I got one from Absolute Homebrew,(Washer - nylon, gas washer for regulator & cylinder - $1.00) still havnt installed it, also have to make sure the Reg is attached to the Bottle nice and tight, and also use Thread Tape aswell..

DONT use thread tape the seal isnt made on the thread and its therefore not required and can infact hamper the performance and function of the nylon or rubber washer thats on the end of the nipple

DONT use thread tape the seal isnt made on the thread and its therefore not required and can infact hamper the performance and function of the nylon or rubber washer thats on the end of the nipple

Wot he said, the seal is at the top - not the sides

Maybe I dont have the proper washer in there ATM.. :rolleyes: Havnt had a issue though...... :ph34r: No loss of Gas, the "Undo Regulator from Gas bottle and put seal in" is on the to do list of the Mountain of "To Do" things............ ;)

All wrong , you will destroy the washer by over tightening !This is the most common cause of leaking gas. Just a gentle firm spanner pressure is all thats required and you certainly dont use thread tape.Test with a bit of soapy water, it will show any leaks if there.
GB

To others seeking advice, forget the below advice:

Shit, sorry guys, I didnt realise that youse had attached my Regulator to my Gas bottle and fixed my Slight gas leak... :rolleyes:

:unsure: CB

:icon_offtopic: Oh, and if I had beer leak between my MFL Beer Disconnect and Female Adaptor through the thread, would it be wrong to use thread tape on the thread to fix the leak as I did with no further issues????????? (Maybe the leak was due to a faulty disconnect, but all is good now)...

No malice intended..

no need to be smart about it CB , just stating the facts , not having a go at you in any way at all
you dont need to put thread tape on there
if your reg is leaking get a new washer
that should fix it

thread tape serves no purpose in that application and as i said may actually cause a leak

and in the case of the disconnect more than likely the rubber seal is leaking not the thread , by using the thread tape youre not actually fixing the problem , your masking it , the actual problem is still there

no need to be smart about it CB , just stating the facts , not having a go at you in any way at all
you dont need to put thread tape on there
if your reg is leaking get a new washer
that should fix it

thread tape serves no purpose in that application and as i said may actually cause a leak

and in the case of the disconnect more than likely the rubber seal is leaking not the thread , by using the thread tape youre not actually fixing the problem , your masking it , the actual problem is still there

Not being smart Barra, all in jest... Maybe the thread tape didnt help my problem on the Reg, just masked it?? But it seemed to help, when I received it, it didnt seem to have a washer, so just used an o-ring and thread tape on the seal and its all good.. :beerbang: Maybe tomoz, ill undo it and put the washer in and get rid of the thread tape in case in destroys my Reg or something :ph34r: ..

The problem is gone on the disconnect now that I used some thread tape!! It doesnt leak anymore.. :super:

What would be the purpose of using thread tape on kettles, mashtuns etc?? Isnt it to help stop leaks?? Not being smart, just a legit Q based on the above...

CB

Anyhow, seems like the OP has had his Q answered and Im all good and ill get my washer in Tomoz if I can.....

Not being smart Barra, all in jest... Maybe the thread tape didnt help my problem on the Reg, just masked it?? But it seemed to help, when I received it, it didnt seem to have a washer, so just used an o-ring and thread tape on the seal and its all good.. :beerbang: Maybe tomoz, ill undo it and put the washer in and get rid of the thread tape in case in destroys my Reg or something :ph34r: ..

The problem is gone on the disconnect now that I used some thread tape!! It doesnt leak anymore.. :super:

What would be the purpose of using thread tape on kettles, mashtuns etc?? Isnt it to help stop leaks?? Not being smart, just a legit Q based on the above...

CB

Anyhow, seems like the OP has had his Q answered and Im all good and ill get my washer in Tomoz if I can.....

you are correct on the topic of kettles and the like , general threaded fittings dont have a washer or anything like that , some are tapered and seal that way but also at times need tape to fill the gaps that are between the threads especially if they are subjected to heat and therefore expansion , the two things spoken of previously have a means of sealing which arent the thread whereas normal pipe fitting so seal at the thread and sometimes need that little bit of help

hope this makes sense and maybe clears things up for ya , again not meaning to put what your saying down it will stop the leak as such , but not cure the root problem ..

and dont panic it wont destroy the reg by having it there ..

Just to add my two-bob's worth ......

The purpose of Teflon tap is to reduce the friction of thread-to-thread contact so that the mating pieces can be wound tighter together, thereby forming a better gas/liquid-tight seal. The tape itself does not perform the seal, the threads themselves do.

thanks to this thread i didnt just empty my CO2 tank into thin air! I hope i kept my harris box, otherwise i'll need to buy a new seal set.

Latest posts

Back