Hangover Cures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Infallible 4 step hangover cure:

1. Falafel Roll for lunch (if its a real hangover, you should have slept past breakfast anyway)
2. Two Neurofen or Panadol taken on a full stomach
3. Two schooners of beer, or one Belgian beer.
4. Dive into the ocean and stay there for at least 15 minutes.

Ive also heard, but yet to confirm this, that NOT drinking the night before can resolve hangovers. :)

There's actually tables you can get from the chemist that are designed for preventing hangovers, can't remember the name of them but you take a couple a few hours before you start drinking and a couple in the morning when you wake up. Worked a treat the few times I took them.

Ive also heard, but yet to confirm this, that NOT drinking the night before can resolve hangovers. :)

These kind of comments really sh!t me to tears, I mean how irresponsible can you be spouting crackpot advice like this??? :p

Cheers SJ

(my method has always been a sports drink drunk before going to sleep, or if that fails, a fish & chip hamburger, 2 pototo cakes and can of coke!)

Hangover prevention or hangover cure?

hangover cure is a pint of water when i wake up, shower if i can manage it then a zinger tower burger meal from KFC + couch + sport and a cheeky spliff. always sorts me out.

Gatorade... i say no more. Buy two bottles as you pass your local 7/11 on your way home from the pub. Drink one before bed and one after. The potassium you lost from boozing gets replaced and works wonders at getting you back on your feet (much like a magnezium tablet.) (bananas are another awesome source of potassium).

Berocca is another good approach but everytime i have it on an empty stomach (even if i havn't been boozing) i want to vomit.

Ive also heard eggs for breakfast are good to get you back on your feet. i think there is something in them that helps your liver clean up toxins.

Cheers to no hangovers! --> :icon_vomit:

2 weeks ago I had been on a live-in trainigfn course for a week. 15 hr days and only about 5hrs a sleep a night. drinking most nights (ok all nights). Friday morning had a big presentaion as part of the course but as it was also the last day everyone had partied it up the night before.

big hangover. Had drunk a heap of water before going to bed. woke up after about 5hrs sleep, popped 2 nuerophen and 2 panadol, dragged myself into the shower for a terribly long time. dragged myself down to breaky and emulated Dire Strait's song, Heavy Fuel:
2 peices of toast with scrambled eggs and tomato sauce, 2 chicken chipolita sausages, 1.5 rashers bacon 1/2 grilled tomato, some fresh melon, 1 cup of burchir musli, 2 cups of coffee, 2 glasses of juice and a small danish.
then 40min later - 3 cups of coffee and 2 600ml bottles of coke.
did my presentation shortly after and killed it.
lunch i ate enough sandwiches for about 3 people i recon. more coffee and fruit.
i then crashed in the arvo.

edit: forgot to mention that i got uber grumpy after lunch and when we were leaving the course and had to deal with stupid taxi drivers (some who were refusing to take us where we wanted to go), I cracked it and gave them a massive serve. i put it down to sugar/caffine crash.

I brush my teeth with anti-fungal vaginal creme, just before tucking in.

I brush my teeth with anti-fungal vaginal creme, just before tucking in.
we didnt ask how you prevent geting fungus as you tuck into the lady your with. :eek:

bad choice of words there reVox!

swinging beef has a point about the cold water though (or in case the ocean). ive always found that a swim in a cold pool or the ocean has better/more sustained effects than the shower. but forcing yourself to have a cold shower is just to painful. you need to do the whole submerge quickly thing.

We have talked about this a couple of times in the past, for some reason it appears to be interesting to home brewers, I don't think the answers or even the thread title have changed much, "Hang-over Cure, any remedies?" (Link from 2007)

Before starting new threads it's not a bad idea to do a quick search, as often as not the answers you are looking for are there if you have anything new to add you can tack it on.

This article in New Scientist is still one of the best I have found.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1562....html?full=true

MHB

PS - Love the FULL name of the link it's

http://www.newscientist.com /article/mg15621135.900-drunk-as-a-skunk--if-hangover-research-ends-up-with-people-falling-over-in-the-lab-how-on-earth-can-we-ever-find-a-cure-our-man-down-the-pub-andy-coghlan-forced-himself-to-find-out.html?full=true://http://www.newscientist.com /arti....html?full=true

M

We have talked about this a couple of times in the past, for some reason it appears to be interesting to home brewers, I don't think the answers or even the thread title have changed much, "Hang-over Cure, any remedies?" (Link from 2007)

Before starting new threads it's not a bad idea to do a quick search, as often as not the answers you are looking for are there if you have anything new to add you can tack it on.
M

yup.
...Dare I say that there is already a thread on this topic. From memory the last hangover cure thread was huge

This article in New Scientist is still one of the best I have found.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1562....html?full=true
M
go the bloody mary!
in all seriousness. understanding why you get a hangover is the best way to combat it. understand you enemy. then attack its weaknesses.

5K run fast as you can. Chunder optional, but don't fight it if you feel the big spit ready to fly. Followed by a hot shower , a clean of the teeth and a good dump.

Brekky wheat bix with icy cold milk and a coffee with one more sugar than you normally have.

1 - A really good shit (bowl filler)
2 - Shower (long cool shower)
3 - Gatorade/Powerade
4 - Something greasy (fish and chips/kfc/maccas)
5 - With Fents - A massive fat joint and kick back watching movies/sports/etc

If I REALLY have to be firing on all cylinders the next day, I just make sure I drink as much water as I did beer. Either offer to do the leg work no matter who's shout it is and down a pint of water with each round, or keep the bottle tops and drink a pint of water for each bottle at the end of the night (yup, it's hard work doing it all at the end). Then sports drinks or barocca before and after bed. You'll get given heaps for drinking water by your mates and you'll piss like a race horse, but if you have to bounce back the next morning, and I do mean really do well , not "survive and hope no one notices that you're hung over", then this does the trick for me.

And the old "Don't mix grape and grain" works pretty well as well.

In my smoking days it was a big fat 3 paper, these days I just rehydrate and kick on with it. I've found my homebrew give a rather pleasant hangover. Most times I enjoy improving as the day goes on.

If I'm with a crowd I know I'm going to have a bender with (eg. Sydney Pub Crawl; Anyone started a thread yet?) I whack 3 berocca in a middie of cold water and drink it in a couple of mouthfulls. this followed by copious amounts of water before drinking. A few waters along the way. Late night lamb sandwich and another water on the way home. three beroccas in a glass of water before bed. Usualy minimises the after effects.

I went to a B&S at Gunnedah once, I drank that much water that day and night I just couldn't seem to get drunk. Made up for it the next day at the Wallabadah picnics but... :icon_drunk: :icon_vomit:

If I'm in disaster recovery mode after a big night the quickest way to recover for me is go to HJs and order a large bacon deluxe meal minus the mayo and I'll be right as rain in about 15mins.

Water, sleep, bacon, super hot curry, beer, sex.

Fortunately I rarely get them if I drink preservative free liquor (including my own beer)

Back