Hand Held Immersion Heaters / Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Hi fellas

I'm looking at getting 2 x 2400w hand held immersion heaters

And have been looking at the Tobins range here http://www.tobins.com.au/HTML/ClassHTML/188.htm

Specifically my question is what type ie bent vs straight with hook is more suitable for a keggle

And for the benefit of other users which type is better suited for other vessels

And are there advantages between one shape over the other

Cheers

Here's a picture of the types and dimensions

4108ABC.JPG

With the hook on the one on the right I wouldn't think there was a dramatic difference. I have a Birko one (got it from ESB) and it has a right-angle bend in the top. Its perfect for resting on something running across the top of the kettle etc, but the hook will do the same job.

Great things too - very handy. I brew solely these days with an immersion element.

With the hook on the one on the right I wouldn't think there was a dramatic difference. I have a Birko one (got it from ESB) and it has a right-angle bend in the top. Its perfect for resting on something running across the top of the kettle etc, but the hook will do the same job.

Great things too - very handy. I brew solely these days with an immersion element.

I'm with T.D on this, great thing to have.

I have the one on the right with the hook.

I have it heating my HLT before i get out of bed to mash in, if my mash in temp is a bit low i then use it to up the temp until i hit my target. I then put it in the boiler to help the gas burner get it to boiling quicker.

Rook

The other thing that is quite handy about these things is that you can heat the mash water directly in the mash tun. Takes an element (so to speak) of uncertainty out of the process (ie temp loss from transferring from HLT to MLT) and ever since I've been doing this I have been hitting mash temps more reliably.

But yeah, the only difference I can see from those pics (if they are to scale?) is that the one on the left will sit lower in the vessel than the one on the right (if suspended from the same height). Whether you want this or not will depend on how deep your vessel is. The lower the element sits (without touching the bottom) the better so its just a matter of doing some measurements.

The hook position is adjustable, so you can tune it's depth to improve convection, or to keep it off the bottom of shallower vessels. The one I have has dodgy soft brackets, tho. Will be rigging up something new.

Well in that case the one on the right definitely seems better. The only thing that annoys me about my one is that when I use it in different sized vessels I have to invent new gizmos to rest it on so it stays in the best position!

Well in that case the one on the right definitely seems better. The only thing that annoys me about my one is that when I use it in different sized vessels I have to invent new gizmos to rest it on so it stays in the best position!

Sounds like you need a couple of timber cross-pieces & a ss "U" bolt with wing nuts TD? :)

TP :beer:

I slide an old chrome towel rod across the keggle and hook the immersion element to that with no probs...

Cheers,
TL

The elements with the black anodised look are for hard water & better suited for brewing than the chrome finished ones.
I have the one on the left & it's a great little unit.

cheers ross

Just make sure the wiring is solid where it connects onto the top, like ROb my old one was a bit flimsy.

Can you get a longer leg on it? Standard keg depth is about 600 mm for a keg and a longer leg will obviously go further. Can be a bit of a pain if your doing standard 22l batches...

Scotty

Just make sure the wiring is solid where it connects onto the top, like ROb my old one was a bit flimsy.

The new & improved models have solved that handle problem Scotty.
When I used my immersion for mashing I solved the "short length" problem in my double batches by stirring the mash with both the immersion heater & my mash paddle at the same time. :) Worked like a charm.

You just need a bit of water on top of these things; if they run dry they become unhappy and go bang.

I did the mash trick and had a cake of burnt mash build up on the element. ended up giving a burnt taste to all my beers, was not nice.

Anyways, a great bit of gear...

You just need a bit of water on top of these things; if they run dry they become unhappy and go bang.

I did the mash trick and had a cake of burnt mash build up on the element. ended up giving a burnt taste to all my beers, was not nice.

Anyways, a great bit of gear...

Spreading out the coils of the element to leave around a 6mm gap solves this problem AND don't stop stirring whatever you do. :D

Perhaps there would be some benefit in a bulk buy??

I used one this weekend to up the temp of my mash and it worked fine, you just have to keep it moving and not let it sit heating only 1 section of the mash.

I finally got around to using my immersion heaters and they are amazing

Got mash + sparge water up to temp in reasonable time - 1 heater got 23 litres of sparge water from 20*C to about 95*C in 45 mins

1 heater easily had 30 odd litres boiling with a rolling boil

I calculated evaporation at a touch over 3.5 litres per hour

So much quieter than my nasa burner - but isn't everything?

I regret not having gone electric initially / earlier

Cheers

I finally got around to using my immersion heaters and they are amazing

Got mash + sparge water up to temp in reasonable time - 1 heater got 23 litres of sparge water from 20*C to about 95*C in 45 mins

1 heater easily had 30 odd litres boiling with a rolling boil

I calculated evaporation at a touch over 3.5 litres per hour

So much quieter than my nasa burner - but isn't everything?

I regret not having gone electric initially / earlier

Cheers

Cortez,

From your previous post I assume you now have the 4108B (2400kW)?

[size=-1]4108B[/size][size=-1]2400W Hi Nickel Alloy W/Hook Imm. Heater[/size]
Question re: double batches and your thoughts on needing to up ante to 3600W or greater?

I am still assembling pieces of equipment to start AG, I have yet to purchase the burner, however maybe electrical straight away could be the go for me...?

Would appreciate your thoughts and others on this?

Cheers!

Also, good to hear the rolling boil went well - did you take a wort sample for taste, was there any burnt/toffee like effects from the immersion heating?

Latest posts

Back