Half of Tasmanians are Illiterate, official

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a crock of shit. I would love to see where they sourced their figures from.

Yes, we certainly need a change in the education system here, I agree with that, but most of this is bullshit and I see no evidence here to back this report.

lol I find it amusing that Dr Ben Jensen, the Director of the school education program at the Grattan Institute, has his input. Funny that the Grattan Institute is Victorian!...

I bet they ran a survey which involved about 10 people you would find out the back of Magra, beyond the black stump!

most kids cant write either..they use abbrevations..like dcm,wtf,ttfn,or they go to a party and they are texting,selfing each other

DU99 said:
most kids cant write either..they use abbrevations..like dcm,wtf,ttfn
That goes for AHB users too. The number of times I've had to Google an abbreviation used in here.

I use them at wok and it pisses off the oldies. (Work kind of abbreviations like email subjects made to convey a story)

New work, I noticed that the would be boss used internal acronyms even in his emails describing my work and negotiations to me etc. Can't be happier. Pig in shit really.

Education standards in general are on the slide in Australia.

Caused by the dumbing down of the curriculum and lack of discipline.

Kids have rights remember. :ph34r:

Bribie G said:
The UK system has a lot to recommend it, I went to primary school for six years then "high" school for seven years, so the high school was two years longer than in Australia. The final two years (lower sixth and upper sixth forms) are nowadays mostly run in separate "sixth form colleges" where a lot of University stuff is pushed down to the colleges. Poms don't go to uni till about 19 so are fairly mature young adults when they get there.

I often get asked by GPs where I get my medical knowledge from and (unless British) they are surprised that at high school I actually did a whole year of physiology and anatomy, one of our textbooks was the old Gray's Anatomy B)
I can still tell you exactly what happens to a pie from mouth to bum and name most of the enzymes and transport mechanisms along the way :unsure:
Krebs citric acid cycle? Messenger RNA? Notta problem. -_-
I have a large splanchology (fig 1159) problem that I would like you to look at and diagnose , free of course .
Nev

spudfarmerboy said:
In Victoria, primary school is for 7 years and secondary school for 6 years, a total of 13 years.
Same total that you quoted for the UK.
By the way BribieG, can you tell me why so many Poms can't pronounce the letter "R"?
They pronounce it is a "W".
I lived in the UK for a few years and noticed it so much that I refer to it as "The Pommy Speech Impediment".
I think what you are referring to is what is known as a lazy r, commonly used by Londoners.
A psychiatrist once said that the reason some Australians raise the pitch of their voice at the end of a sentence was due to having a lack of confidence.

we are starting to see this shorting of words in where i work,and it's starting annoy a few because some are making there own and we are suppose to know what they
are trying tell us in other words its a PITA

Gryphon Brewing said:
I have a large splanchology (fig 1159) problem that I would like you to look at and diagnose , free of course .
Nev
Outside my field. I trained in female reproductive problems, particularly the slipadicktomy procedure.

Bribie G said:
I often get asked by GPs where I get my medical knowledge from and (unless British) they are surprised that at high school I actually did a whole year of physiology and anatomy, one of our textbooks was the old Gray's Anatomy B)
-_-
I know a couple doctors who appear to have obtained their medical knowledge from High School.

Back