Hag Yeast Slant Library

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That a good page of info on plastics. I learnt a fair bit about the different poly's on there.

I also like the look of the LP9025-UU, but I need one of their thermometers to come back in stock before I can place an order. It keeps telling me it's going to be 4 weeks! :(

Benniee

Should we try and standardise the vessel for this.

I plan to build a tast tube holder that tilts up and locks for when they cool.

Would be a bugger if we swapped and others tubes didnt fit!

cheers

one other thing........... where can we get this agar agar stuff in the valley?

cheers

PS.......... im excited about this....... been meaning to start slants for a while now but never really had the motivation

cheers

one other thing........... where can we get this agar agar stuff in the valley?

I've read a couple of other links that reckon you can use gelatin without a problem.

I made up a test "slant" in an old baby food jar using gelatin and the thing set up nicely at room temp and is looking good after a couple of days.

edit: here is one of the links

Seems you can get it at any health food kinda store, Tony. I'm going to do a bit of investigating into this tomorrow and see if I can acquire some, I'll let you know.

As for making those the standard vessel, it sounds like a good idea to me, they're cheap enough. Even if you only buy 50 at express post its only $0.54 each

mine came out at around the $30 mark with postage for 50.

I dont plan to have hundreds of them.......... i want room in the fridge for beer too :p

I looked at teh supermarket but no good.

Was thinking of tracking down a health food store of sorts but im not sure where there would be one in the maitland area.

mmmmm might try the yellow pages :)

cheers

mine came out at around the $30 mark with postage for 50.

I dont plan to have hundreds of them.......... i want room in the fridge for beer too :p

I looked at teh supermarket but no good.

Was thinking of tracking down a health food store of sorts but im not sure where there would be one in the maitland area.

mmmmm might try the yellow pages :)

cheers
Tony, would you like me to check for some Agar at the local health food shop tomorrow?

How much do you want?

agar agar can be obtained from most Indian or Asian stores which sell spices etc.

Regards

Graeme

Does anyone know the Asian name for it though. I went to the Asian grocery and asked for it and got "Hurrh, wasshyoowann?" Figure it would help if I had the conversion

Hi schooey

Best place I have found so far to Buy Agar in Newcastle is at the Asian grocers in Hunter Street Newcastle (I think it is just down from the old Empire Hotel). It is called Agar-Agar Powder and it sells for approx $2.30 for 25grammes. You can also buy it from the Asian Grocers at Stockland Jesmond 90cents for 7 grammes but it is flavoured and it is crap to work with it foams and spits all over the place when heated. The Agar-Agar powder from the Asian Grocer in Hunter Street is very easy to work with it is plain and not flavoured.

The current formulae I use from the above is 300 mL Water, 20g malt extract, and 4-5g Agar and a pinch of yeast nutrient. I place the water and malt extract and yeast nutrient in an erlenmeyer flask and swirl to mix then gradually add agar till it soaks in for a few minutes. When it is thoroughly wet raise the heat slowly to dissolve it completely . Bring to boil carefully and boil for a few minutes. Then place in vials then pressure cook. I am still playing around with the mixtures but the above seems to work okay.

Cheers
Glenn

Hey Guys,

I was talking to MHB yesterday about this and said I would respond.

I would be happy to trade any of my slants, I currently have:

wlp001
wlp023
wyeast 2001
wyeast 1968
wyeast 3068
wyeast 3944

Also, does anyone have a good method for innoculating from slant to slant?

Cheers
Rob

Does anyone see a big problem with using gelatin instead of agar-agar? Gelatin is readily available from the supermarket compared to agar. As far as I can tell the only difference is the agar "sets" at a higher temperature.

As I posted before I made up a blank slant with gelatin and it's been sitting at room temp for 3 days now and looks fine. I made this up for 2 reasons. Firstly to test that my methods are good enough to produce "clean" blank slants. Secondly to see how the gelatin would perform.

Benniee

Does anyone see a big problem with using gelatin instead of agar-agar? Gelatin is readily available from the supermarket compared to agar. As far as I can tell the only difference is the agar "sets" at a higher temperature.

As I posted before I made up a blank slant with gelatin and it's been sitting at room temp for 3 days now and looks fine. I made this up for 2 reasons. Firstly to test that my methods are good enough to produce "clean" blank slants. Secondly to see how the gelatin would perform.

Benniee

Hey Benniee,

Gelatin will work fine. I have used this myself and have experienced no issues. If you can get your hands on some Agar, I would suggest using it first, but if your only option is gelatin, then go for it.

Rob

Benniee
From here:

Agar, in contrast with gelatin, is a carbohydrate. Like gelatin, however, agar is a reversible colloid. It soaks up in cold water, dissolves in hot water after a long boiling to a tasteless and odorless clear solution, and solidifies upon cooling to a more or less opaque jelly.

The colloidal properties of agar are not destroyed by a long-continued heating at a high temperature, nor by the action of ordinary microorganisms as are those of gelatin. One per cent agar is much more easily soluble under equal conditions than a higher per cent. One and one half per cent is the amount used in ordinary agar media, giving a somewhat stiffer and thus more desirable jelly. Agar is not a food for microorganisms in general, i.e., it is not affected by the digestive enzymes of most bacteria, as is gelatin.
Agar is of special use in bacteriological work in which the cultivation of microorganisms must be conducted at a temperature above the melting-point of gelatin.

Les

Thanks Les - I've been looking for that sort of a breakdown.

I wonder if yeast are "ordinary microorganisms" and will somehow alter the gelatin (other than grow on it :) )

Also a good point on working with things at higher temps - where agar would be the only real option.

Benniee

anyone got a recomendation on the best ones to get?

http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/online.asp?page=l9

cheers

LP9025-UL Vee bottom containers, PP, PP screw cap, 30mL AUD22.00 /pk/50 10% DISCOUNT FOR 10

These work well for several reasons

1 Can stand up
2 30ml less fiddly than smaller ones
3 Lid and container can be boiled/autoclaved (read pressure cooked) with lid screwed on and won't collapse on cooling

Best place I have found so far to Buy Agar in Newcastle is at the Asian grocers in Hunter Street Newcastle (I think it is just down from the old Empire Hotel). It is called Agar-Agar Powder and it sells for approx $2.30 for 25grammes.

:D.. Cheers, Glenn. I got some from her this morning, exactly as you described. Might have went overboard with 4 packets though, I didnt think about it until I was driving home, but that will be enough to make up about 260 slants... :blink:

Also, does anyone have a good method for innoculating from slant to slant?

I managed to dig this one up - link

Look on pages 189-190. Sounds fairly similar to going from a liquid to a slant.

Benniee

I've been thinking about doing this for some time so I'm keen to get in on it also.

Oh and Tony have you tried the health food shop in Pender Place in Maitland?

Cheers

Back