Hag Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, have the Irish Red brewed. Throwing the yeast in tonight. All done over my First AG weekend. Being my first AG I hope it bloody well comes out ok. Read about my dramas and observations here if keen.

My First AG weekend..........Observations and Questions

Worried that I will attend my first Case Swap and get lynched for bringing an attrocity along ;)

My first AG was a stout. The temps were not exact, i splached it a bit :eek: hops were no quite right, firment temp was a bit off.

you know what.

I sent it off to a comp and it got first in the stout class. It was only a little local comp but the fella running it was an experienced brewer and a judge. HE asked me how long id been brewing and i told him it was my forst AG.

He almost choked on the phone :)

your first atemp may seem lika a disaster but it will be fine. If it has faults its all good. We will pick them, let you know and you can impoveonb your brewing from it.

thats whyt i enter comps.

I had a beer come dead last an the AABC one year.

I was shitted off but i learnd from it.

thats what makes us better brewers...... learning.

bring it on mate.

cheers

G'day All
Changed my mind on the strong Danish lager - figured I wouldn't get to lager it properly befor the swap date.
A Spiced Belgian Golden Ale is now in the fermenter, bubbling away with WY3522 Ardennes.

Updated the list...

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
2. Offline - Style undecided as yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - Foreign Extra Stout
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight? - Belgian Witbier
14 - Punter- Kolsch
15 - Craig - not sure yet.
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - ESB
18 - Shmick - Spiced Belgian Golden Ale (WY3522)
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - I'll let you know when I know
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - yet to be decided
26. Fingolfin - will decide later, brew next weekend
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like
28. Colin Hansell - I'm still thinking, I'll let you know not sure yet

Reserves

1. HKS

Updated the list...

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
14 - Punter- Kolsch
17 - Snagler - ESB
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - Spitfire Clone
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like

Reserves

1. HKS

I've decided to give my Spitfire Clone another go. Below is Trent's review on the very same beer I am aiming to reproduce. I've made about twice and have been quite happy with the results, however I still need more work to get close to the original. Hopefully with the case swap I'll get the feedback that will enable me to get that little bit closer to the real thing.

From Trent,
"Just drinking away of your spitfire clone - hard to believe it is well over 6 months old already! Lovely carbonation (on the low side), plenty of malt sweetness, good balancing bitterness, and the low oxidation levels filling in well (like it should in an english style ale) and just adding to the complexity. Very impressed with this one - I really think it is better now than it was at my aussie reception."

So I will endeavour to replicate this.

For all the new people joining and giving this case swap a go all the best. This is where you will get honest feedback (always positive - even if sounding 'negative' ) with ideas on where to go from now. Your brews will only get better and your brewing skills improve. GO FOR IT!

Regards

Stephen

For all the new people joining and giving this case swap a go all the best. This is where you will get honest feedback (always positive - even if sounding 'negative' ) with ideas on where to go from now. Your brews will only get better and your brewing skills improve. GO FOR IT!

Regards

Stephen

Good points Steve.

While looking for paperwork for the Bitter & Teisted competition I noticed that the BJCP has an electronic version of their judging sheet.

This allows you to type your comments and scores into the standard scoresheet using interactive fields in the PDF. Perhaps this would be a good practice for the BJCP judges on the swap to practise their skills and either post the completed score sheet or email it to the swapper.

Dave

Good points Steve.

While looking for paperwork for the Bitter & Teisted competition I noticed that the BJCP has an electronic version of their judging sheet.

This allows you to type your comments and scores into the standard scoresheet using interactive fields in the PDF. Perhaps this would be a good practice for the BJCP judges on the swap to practise their skills and either post the completed score sheet or email it to the swapper.

Dave
As Bigfridge says above there is a scoresheet for BJCP user to use to improve judging skills. For the new, have a look at the style guidelines (daunting as it may seem) but have have a go at the score sheet and see how (a) your judging skills go and (B) how your beer is. Do not get frustrated if you don't seem to be getting anywhere, the first couple of times is like a newborn learning to walk - don't have a clue what you're doing but it seems to be OK. HAVE FUN!!

Confuscis: A long journey begins with a small step.

Regards

Stephen

Oh,

Forgot to add the link to the style guidelines: [post="0"]BJCP Style Guidelines[/post]

ENJOY!

Regards

Stephen

Howdy yall... I've got a saison bubbling away, its my first attempt and looks promising - but its a recipe posted elsewhere. Is it bad form if your case beer is a first attempt of something not your work? I ask because this thing has taken ages (nearly a month) to hit FG and I'll be pushing it to get another one done before the deadline...

It's probably not bad form so much at all, but it is a risk of getting poor :"constructive" feedback. Having claimed it is going to taste like a saison the feedback given will be based on saison. So no its not bad at all just a risk... If it doesn't turn out. From this end I'm looking forward to it. Haven't had a good one since, I think it was les at Keiths farewell.

It's probably not bad form so much at all, but it is a risk of getting poor :"constructive" feedback. Having claimed it is going to taste like a saison the feedback given will be based on saison. So no its not bad at all just a risk...

I would think that the only risk is that you will get comments on why it is a great Saison or what needs to be looked at to make it a great one. ie exactly the feedback you need for a new recipe.

IMO there is scope for useful feedback on a new recipe rather than a tried and true favourite where the swappers all say 'that was a good pale ale' and the only thing that you can say is 'Thanks, I know'.

Dave

I agree. feedback is the best way to improve your brewing.

Books dont tell your beer is a bit bitter or has a slight infection.

I am looking forward to getting feedback on my ESB as its a style i would like to perfect. I think mine may be a bit light boddied as i missed the mash temp a bit and only hit 65 instead of the 66 to 67 i wanted.

cheers

Revised my contribution..

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- American Amber
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer

Reserves

1. HKS

Well, I just pitched my offering, (as in pitched the yeast in, not pitched it down the sink :lol:)
Its just a simple old brown porter, I am afraid, but it should be at least drinkable. It isnt a big beer by any stretch of the imagination, but well within the guidelines. I missed my target OG by a point, which is the bad news, but ended up overshooting my volume by 2L :eek:, which is good news. For me at least. Thanks god I got a 30L fermenter off Mark a few months back, I ended up at 26L into the fermenter, before I even put in my 1L starter. At least I will have a bottle or 2 spare for myself afterwards.
Looking forward to the swap day
Trent

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - Brown Porter
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer

Reserves

1. HKS

Revised my contribution..

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
10. Tony - ESB
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - Dark Ale

Reserves

1. HKS

I have decided upon a Irish Red Ale, i am making it today :) wish me luck !!

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale.
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
10. Tony - ESB
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
28. Colin Hansell - Irish Red Ale
Reserves

1. HKS

OK i've changed my mind on the beer I'm submitting. I will be putting in a Oyster Stout instead.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - ESB
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Unfortunately, due to a missing ingredient, I will have to change my entry from a Spitfire clone to an English Pale Ale, Sorry folks.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - ESB
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - English pale ale
Reserves

1. HKS

Just updating the list with my contibution.............

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - ESB
15 - Craig - American Rye
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Just updating the list with my contibution as well...decided on a more classic saison style - driven by hop use and yeast expression rather than spice additions. Just a basic recipe that well likely be developed further based on the comments from this swap :)

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - Saison (WY3724)
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - ESB
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Well Im totally discusted with my entry...... its shit!.

There was something wrong with that wyeast for sure...... mental note. If wyeast arives with already inflated smack pack inside..... send it back!

Im going to brew anamerican wheat tomorrow for myself and on the side.... make another beer for the swap.

Im thinking a JS Golden Ale type beer. something nice and simple.

cheers

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - Saison (WY3724)
9. nooch - Oyster Stout
10. Tony - Golden Ale.
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
Reserves

1. HKS

Latest posts

Back