Hag - Hunter Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, I've recently I've began to steer away from the yankee hops. For so long I couldn't understand how someone could say theyre not into 'em, but I finally see where your coming from! All hail goldings!

And not entirely (or at all) related to Tony's comment... I've been out of brewing action for a couple months now (as I'm sure MHB can back up, no hour long weekly visits from me for a while! :p), so I don't have much in the way of beer left for entry. I must say though I ended up a big fan of my case swap beer - and I also happen to have a single longy left of it. is it bad form to enter a HAG case swap beer into a HAG comp... I'm pretty sure everyone involved would have tasted it already, I think I only remember reading one or two brief comments in the swap tasting thread though and I want more feedback :)

Cheers

Sam
Sam,

I have a bottle left, but I might enter mine in the HAG comp. Hey, it's my beer isn't it? Surely that's not cheating?

Regarding the "Hail Goldings" comment...I have tasted beer which was, to my palate, over-hopped with Goldings. IMHO, as bad or worse than an OTT APA. Balance is the key. Seek the middle way, young Sam, and always Testify!!!

Les out

I must say though I ended up a big fan of my case swap beer - and I also happen to have a single longy left of it.

I have a few single longies from past brews which I could dig out but don't you need 2 x bottles for each entry?

I'm down to the last HAG swap bottle and it just happens to be Sammus' :D but if it's as good as you say I'll have to drink it tonight just in case you get any funny ideas of getting it back ;)

Looks like I'll dust off a few old ones anyway to make up the numbers - any extra points for Redbacks??

I have a few single longies from past brews which I could dig out but don't you need 2 x bottles for each entry?

I'm down to the last HAG swap bottle and it just happens to be Sammus' :D but if it's as good as you say I'll have to drink it tonight just in case you get any funny ideas of getting it back ;)

Looks like I'll dust off a few old ones anyway to make up the numbers - any extra points for Redbacks??
Schmick,

The requirement for 2 bottles applies if you hope to get through to the BoS round. If you think that your beer is worthy of the BoS prize/award, then you should supply two bottles. If not, why are you entering?

All jokes aside, you can get away with one bottle, but there will be no entry for the BoS round when you qualify. How disappointing would that be?

Les

I thought the entry was 2x 330ml or equivalent. So I guess a longy should be a OK... but it mean they'd get opened dregs for the BoS round - probably not the best chance of winning! :p

And Shmick - even though I said I thought it was good, your not allowed to expect anything great! I was hoping everyone had finished so I didn't build up anyones expectations! that can only lead to disappointment :lol:

Sammus
It was I who was sensitive to the 1968 yeast, but I found your beer to be quite palatable (I am only sensitive to the odd bottle in a whole batch). I cannot recall exactly the comments I was gonna give it, it required a little improvement here or there, maybe it was not bitter enough, or too sweet? Either way, it was a very nice colour, IIRC, and I enjoyed the whole bottle. If I wasnt putting a pale ale of some description into the comp myself, I would have been able to try it and give you better feedback.

As far as the comp goes, I am in Sydney on th efriday night for a wedding, and hence will be coming back up on the sat. the mrs has already ok'ed the stop and stay at the backpacker, on the proviso that she gets to buy lots of wine! So yes, it looks like I will be there. Is all the judging done on the saturday or sunday? Or both? I would like to be part of it all, and hopefully get to taste Keith's "7 day beer".
All the best
Trent

So currently my wife is in early stages of labour, so the fresh hop brew penned in for tonight isn't going to happen. Looks like those fresh hops (picked this morning) won't be quite as fresh by the time i use them. Anyway that won't be ready for comp anymore, birth of firstborn is definately going to be more exciting than my first home grown wet hop ale.
Got three that give dug out that are comp worthy though. Hope to see you all up there for the w-end, might be sleep deprived though.
Lee

Tony, I've recently I've began to steer away from the yankee hops. For so long I couldn't understand how someone could say theyre not into 'em, but I finally see where your coming from! All hail goldings!

Well Hooooooly sheep Poop

I never thougt i would ever see someone say that...... wipes tear from his eye :)

I had a taste of the APA just then. Its fired well and is charging along at 19 deg. It tastes really good actually. I like the simcoe influence. Its a bit smoother that cascade.

And ITS NOT INFECTED....... Yet :(

Keith.......... i have yeast in the tight arse stir plate but i cant brew till next week.

Will be interesting to see how i goes.

cheers

Lee
You can have a free hop replacement or a fairly good cigar - you choice.

Luck and congratulations

Mark

:lol: :lol:

After having twins.......... none of both of those is going to numb the lack of sleep.

Our third kid was a single job and we didnt know what to do......... we could actually get some sleep compared to the twins.

Each time you better half gets up and you keep sleeping, imagine having 2 that wake up the same time ...... every time.

Zombie city!

I had 2 brews firmenting when we had our kids. They sat for a while after but they were ok.

I used to brew late at night. I was awake anyway between kids and work so why not brew beer in the garage with the baby moniter in my pocket.

and one other bonus......... once the kids start sleeping better........... you never do again.

But..... kids are the best thing that will ever happen to you. Enjoy them while thay are little and "like" cuddles :)

Congrats and best of luck.

cheers

Hey Trent, The judging should be Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday including the BOS. Will be great to see you there. I'm sure I will have a hop flower filled beer for you to judge ;) :lol:

Would be great to have you up there to Lee but Im sure all will understand with the circumstances! Good luck with the new bub mate.

Tony HTFU and take up Keiths challenge! :D Hey being a mild (a style I quite like) I'd take it up but I don't consider myself good enough to be in the same class as you guys!

What class is that, n00ch? The HAG class? Then HTFU yourself and just tag along as a mystery entrant, or take up the challenge publicly, I think you'll find that you will do quite well (I like your beers - and I know to mark up the ones with hop flowers!).
Looking forward to catching up
Trent

Tony HTFU and take up Keiths challenge! :D Hey being a mild (a style I quite like) I'd take it up but I don't consider myself good enough to be in the same class as you guys!

I thought i did take up the challenge. I have a yeast culture going nuts and will probably deprive myself of sleep and brew one night through the week.

n00ch...... HTFU yourself and brew one! I never considered myself a good brewer either till i entered some comps and found out the beers weren't to bad after all. Im my own worst critic.

Who else is going to chuck in a mild?

cheers

I might have to now. I was going to brew a stout on the weekend. I may have to brew a stout and a mild.

Who else is going to chuck in a mild?

Why the freakin' hell not, guess it will give me a yardstick against some blokes who know what they are doing, and make it easier for the judges to find a bad one :p

know what were doing ?????????

Ive never brewed one, tasted one, seen one, smelt one ect

Im just going off what i can find in guidelines and books.

Will be interesting

Its always good when you find a recipe for a mild ale on the net and its brewed using Cascade and Amarillo

cheers

know what were doing ?????????

Ive never brewed one, tasted one, seen one, smelt one ect

Im just going off what i can find in guidelines and books.

Will be interesting

Its always good when you find a recipe for a mild ale on the net and its brewed using Cascade and Amarillo

cheers

Well that makes two of us :D

umm.. Can you save me some google time and link me to the recipe.. :p

Ummmmm .... no i cant. I dont get recipes from the net. as i said before, i found one that used cascade and amarillo.

I would say the best way to do it is to enturprite the BJCP guideline and brew a beer to fit that best you can. The beers are judged to the guideline so thats the rule you will have to follow

I think the tricky bit will be matching the grist to a mash temp that will compliment the yeast used to give the best ballance. Matching bitterness with the malt and adjusting it to fit in with any roast maly you may use.

Im with Scott.......... i love brewing off the cuff like this........ only one shot.

cheers

If ya's dont know what a mild tastes like, see if ya can get in touch with Mitch, he makes a really nice mild. it is a very loosely guidelined beer. It can be reasonably pale (for an english crystally beer) or quiote dark. It can finish dry or sweet. It really only needs to be fairly malty, and moderate to low bitterness. BJCP says pale, crystal and darker malts should comprise the grist. Too easy - may the best mild win! (notice I only say too easy when I am not making one :lol:)
All the best
Trent

I posted a mild recipe some time ago. It took BOS at our club's comp a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back