GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate can you explain how this works exactly to tet the hops up into the wort? I would like to build one for my chronical?

EDIT: Just saw a youtube clip on how it works. Can you show a photo of whats on the inside of yours? How you connected up the fittings etc?
Sorry for the late reply
I just got 1Lt decor plastic bottle and attached plastic fittings of a size which suits my fermenter (3/4”)
I then went to Clark rubber and got o bit of pvc hose that was a snug fit inside the plastic fittings. The pvc hose needs to be at least 6 - 18mm from the base of the bottle.
From my experience you would need a bigger than 1Lt bottle
What I put together (I’ll post photos tomorrow) was just a rough quick & low cost tryout

Sorry for the late reply
I just got 1Lt decor plastic bottle and attached plastic fittings of a size which suits my fermenter (3/4”)
I then went to Clark rubber and got o bit of pvc hose that was a snug fit inside the plastic fittings. The pvc hose needs to be at least 6 - 18mm from the base of the bottle.
From my experience you would need a bigger than 1Lt bottle
What I put together (I’ll post photos tomorrow) was just a rough quick & low cost tryout
Thanks for that mate. photos would be great. Where did you get the decor bottle from?

Thanks for that mate. photos would be great. Where did you get the decor bottle from?
I actually got it in a salvos shop but I think they may be available in supermarkets
upload_2019-10-10_8-48-26.jpeg

upload_2019-10-10_8-48-53.jpeg

upload_2019-10-10_8-49-33.jpeg

upload_2019-10-10_8-51-3.jpeg

Cheers for the pics. I was actually at Bunnings earlier and brought this below. I could have used a smaller 3/4 elbow but wanted to extend it out a bit so I can screw it on without fouling with the legs of the fermenter.
I was just going to cut the riser to the correct size. So how well does it work? Do you have to do it a few times to get all of your hops in there?

Did you have dramas getting a good seal on the lid where the collar goes through the lid? I might have to get what you have as it seems like it will seal better than what Ive got. Whats the knurled bit inside the lid though? Did you get it from Bunnings?

yeast brink.JPG

Bloody hell its so hard trying to find a decent container. I went to 5 $2 shops today, Woolies and Bunnings. Serached online and the Decor flask like you have is $43 on ebay or $13 with $18 for postage somewhere else. I looked at glass jars with lids but they didnt look like they would seal that well. i need to find a decent sized mason jar.

Just picked up this 1.7Lt jarfor $5 from Cheap as Chips
Going to connect with hose barbs
upload_2019-10-10_9-58-0.jpeg

Cheers for the pics. I was actually at Bunnings earlier and brought this below. I could have used a smaller 3/4 elbow but wanted to extend it out a bit so I can screw it on without fouling with the legs of the fermenter.
I was just going to cut the riser to the correct size. So how well does it work? Do you have to do it a few times to get all of your hops in there?

Did you have dramas getting a good seal on the lid where the collar goes through the lid? I might have to get what you have as it seems like it will seal better than what Ive got. Whats the knurled bit inside the lid though? Did you get it from Bunnings?

View attachment 116712
the knurled nut is just that...a nut to hold the all thread to the lid
As you are only transferring at low pressure you don’t have to worry too much about gas seal. A little leakage wouldn’t hurt (mine didn’t leak)
I’ll be using hose barbs to attach the cymbal hose to both the fermenter and the jar
With the 1Lt jar I did have to do the transfer of both the grub and the hops several times
The hops were relatively easy put them in and allow some wort into the jar and leave it for the hops to powder then gas it and open the valve
You May need to fill the jar withwort and repeat several times to get the hops into your fermenter

I’ve just tried meh new glass one but the lid although stainless steel it has a plastic thread so the lid just slides off when gas pressure is applied
I may try the other glass bottle that they had which had a timber (Bugga) lid with wire hinge and clasp

Cheers for the info. I looked at those jars today and nearly brought one so I’m glad I didn’t. I wonder if those sistema containers would be leak proof. The lid clamps down on them nice and tight. They sell a square one for pasta etc in Woolies that’s around 2 litres.

However I used it to add a bit of water to the fermenter and it worked well but I had to push down on the lid. Gas was on about 5-8 psi

However I used it to add a bit of water to the fermenter and it worked well but I had to push down on the lid. Gas was on about 5-8 psi
Chronicals are only rated to 2 psi anyway so I’m hoping that’s all I need to push some hops into it.

Bloody hell its so hard trying to find a decent container. I went to 5 $2 shops today, Woolies and Bunnings. Serached online and the Decor flask like you have is $43 on ebay or $13 with $18 for postage somewhere else. I looked at glass jars with lids but they didnt look like they would seal that well. i need to find a decent sized mason jar.
Spotlight often have cheap mason jars, I got a 4 pack of the 946ml (normal mouth) set for $20 a while ago that would do the job for this - easy enough to set up some specific lids and interchange with vessels as needed. As an aside I often use the 473ml jars to scoop out and harvest yeast (for very short periods).

Spotlight often have cheap mason jars, I got a 4 pack of the 946ml (normal mouth) set for $20 a while ago that would do the job for this - easy enough to set up some specific lids and interchange with vessels as needed. As an aside I often use the 473ml jars to scoop out and harvest yeast (for very short periods).
Yeah I think I will go the mason jar option like Norcal use in the original design. Thanks for the heads up re Spotlight, I didnt know they sold them.

Do you think you you could please move this conversation to the thread for the guten fermenter? There's over a page of discussion about it now, on the thread for the actual guten all in one system...

Do you think you you could please move this conversation to the thread for the guten fermenter? There's over a page of discussion about it now, on the thread for the actual guten all in one system...
Where is that exactly? every post that comes up in search links back to this thread???

Latest posts

Back